TN: Didier Dagueneau Pur Sang 2001

Didier Dagueneau Pur Sang 2001:
A great wine that is in a really great place right now. Loaded with lemon zippiness, meaty peaches, white flowers and chamomile. Complex and lush, this wine continued to improve over the hours that it was open. Some of the original acid has waned but there is still a tight line there suggesting this wine has some life left in it. Towards the end of the night the stone fruits emerged more prominently along with crushed stones, grapefruit zest and honeycomb. Overall a real treat. 93 points

Sounds like a beautiful bottle. The one time I had '01 Pur Sang, I would swear I could smell the horse on the label in the wine. It was pretty wild!

John,

The first time I tried Dagueneau wines was '97 in Atlanta. We all just sat there, speechless, trying to think of what to say about the wines. They were so mind-bending for a white wine, we were stupified. Alot of my white wine thought process comes from tasting these wines.

Thanks for the note on a truly great wine…and winemaker.

Amazing what kind of concentrated fruit he could get out of Sauv Blanc. Thanks for the note.

The Pur Sang and Silex can be otherworldly. I’m still working my way through some of the 199X wines and am consistently stunned at what they have become. Magic in a bottle.