TN: DAWGS June 2009 - South America

DAWGS JUNE 2009 - SOUTH AMERICA - bigred_seeker’s house in University Park, Dallas, TX (6/27/2009)

This month the DAWGS held their monthly tasting at bigred_seeker’s house in University Park, Dallas, TX. Then theme for this month was South American wines.

Now onto the show…
Here’s the whites to start…

• 2007 Valle Escondido (Gouguenheim Winery) Torrontés - Argentina, Mendoza
    WIML88

Tasted June 27, 2009 at an offline.

Opened and served immediately. Light yellow color in the glass, clear hue throughout. nose of grass, grapefruit, lime and light perfume notes. Flavors of lime dominate with added notes of grapefruit. Light to medium acidity and body. Drink over the short term, let’s make that one now. (88 pts.)

• 2008 Fantelli Torrontés - Argentina, Mendoza
    WIML88?

Tasted June 27, 2009 at an offline. Light yellow color in the glass, clear hue throughout. Nose of lime, gooseberry and talc. Light flavors of lime and grapefruit. Light acidity and body. Drink now. (88 pts.)

Here come the reds…

• 2006 Bodega Catena Zapata Malbec Alamos Selección - Argentina, Mendoza
    WIML88

Dark garnet to purple color in the glass, clear hue throughout. Nose of perfume, bacon fat and currants. Flavors of black berries, currants and cherries. Medium acidity, medium to firm tannins, medium body. Just a slightly clipped finish. (88 pts.)

• 2005 Las Perdices Reserva Don Juan - Argentina, Mendoza, Lujan de Cuyo
    WIML89

Garnet to dark garnet color in the glass, clear hue throughout. Nose of violets, balsamic, spice and berries. Flavors of plums, berries and cherries. Medium acidity, medium to firm tannins, medium body. Just a slightly clipped finish but that’s OK. Drink over the shorter term. (89 pts.)

• 2006 Bodega Colome Malbec Estate - Argentina, Salta, Calchaquies
    WIML90

Dark garnet to purple color in the glass, clear hue throughout. Just a bit of barnyard up front with perfume notes, spice and currant. Flavors of currants, cherries and berries. Medium acidity, medium to firm tannins, medium body. Drink over the short to medium term. (90 pts.)

• 2005 Doña Paula Malbec Seleccion de Bodega - Argentina, Mendoza, Lujan de Cuyo
    WIML91

Dark garnet color in the glass, slightly cloudy looking. Nose of talc, perfume, mixed red fruits and melted red licorice. Flavors of red berries, cherries, sweet tarts and a dash of red licorice. Medium to bright acidity, medium to firm tannins, medium to full bodied. Drink now with a decant or hold over the medium term. (91 pts.)

• 2008 Don Miquel Malbec Gascon - Argentina, Mendoza
    WIML87+

This is the second tasting of this wine this month and this bottle showed much better than the first bottle. Dark garnet to purple color in the glass, clear hue throughout. Nose of blueberries, currants, rose petals and a bit of fried bacon. Flavors of black cherries, black berries and a dash of currants. Light to medium acidity, medium to firm tannins, medium body. Slightly short finish. Drink over the short term, now might be better. (87 pts.)

• 2007 Doña Paula Malbec Estate - Argentina, Mendoza, Lujan de Cuyo
    WIML90

Dark garnet color in the glass, clear hue throughout. Nose of bacon fat, currant, perfume and melted black licorice. Flavors of currants and berries. Medium acidity, firm tannins and medium to firm body. Drink over the medium term. (90 pts.)

• 2007 Clos de los Siete (Michel Rolland) Clos de Los Siete - Argentina, Mendoza, Valle de Uco
    WIML88

Purple color in the glass, clear hue throughout. Nose of cocoa powder, black currants and blueberries. Flavors of currants, plums and black cherries. Light to medium acidity, firm tannins, maybe medium body. Seems a little light weight for a Rolland wine. Drink over the short to medium term is my guess. (88 pts.)

• 2004 Odfjell Carménère Orzada - Chile, Central Valley, Maipo Valley
    WIML88

Purple color in the glass, clear hue throughout. Nose of dried herbs, white pepper an thistle. A little hot on the nose. Flavors or red currants and red licorice. Medium acidity, tannins and body. Drinking just a little hot overall so docked for that. (88 pts.)

• 2005 Casa Lapostolle Clos Apalta - Chile, Central Valley, Rapel Valley, Colchagua Valley
    WIML91

Purple color in the glass, clear hue throughout. Nose of bell pepper, nail polish, plum and currant. Flavors of currants and berries. Medium acidity, firm tannins and medium to full body. Drink over the medium term. If drinking now be sure and decant a bit to blow off the nail polish. I’m thinking this wine is fairly consistent with my previous rating of WIML92 so we’ll call it WIML91 for the moment. (91 pts.)

• 2000 Concha y Toro Cabernet Sauvignon Don Melchor (Private Reserve) - Chile, Central Valley, Maipo Valley, Puente Alto
    WIML91-92

Dark garnet to purple color, clear hue throughout. Nose of thistle, berries, cherries, black currants and a bit of leather. Flavors of black cherries, licorice, black berries and currants. Medium acidity, tannins and body. Drink over the medium term. Aging nicely. (91 pts.)

• 2002 Concha y Toro Cabernet Sauvignon Don Melchor (Private Reserve) - Chile, Central Valley, Maipo Valley, Puente Alto
    WIML88+

Dark garnet to purple color in the glass, clear hue throughout. Nose of laquer, white pepper, melted black licorice and currants. Flavors of currants, berries and cherries. Light to medium acidity, firm tannins, medium body. Came across as lighter and hotter than previous efforts. Where is this wine and winery going? (88 pts.)

Many thanks to Bill & Paula for hosting!

Great notes Joe, not sure if you realize but Clos de los Siete is about a 75,000 case production. Rolland, from what I recall from my trip to the winery, only visits a couple of times per year. I find the wine quite impressive year n and year out, considering the high production. It is leftover juice from the wineries within the property. They have to contribute a certain % of their crop, by rule, back to the “co-op” to ensure that there is Clos de los Siete each year. As the vines get older, the wineries will keep more of the juice for their own labels, thereby lowering production of Clos de los Siete. I think they see production lowering to about 30,000 cases eventually.

Interestingly enough, the best empanadas I had were at my free lunch there. I wonder if Dr. Jay had the same empanadas?

That’s a good tid bit there Daniel. I didn’t know that. I had a feeling it might be a large scale production wine but wasn’t sure. Thanks for the info.