TN: DAWGS July 2009 - 6th Anniversary!

DAWGS JULY 2009 - 6TH ANNIVERSARY! - Amici’s Signature Italian, Carrollton, TX (7/15/2009)

The DAWGS celebrated their 6th anniversary together last night. As is a hit and miss tradition with this group we returned to our original venue of Amici’s Signature Italian in Carrollton, TX and reprised our first wine theme of “Italian Wine Night”. Now onto the show…

• 2007 Cantine dei Marchesi di Incisa della Rochetta Roero Arneis - Italy, Piedmont
    WIML94

Tasted July 15, 2009 at an offline.

This wine was once again firing on all cylinders last night. Light yellow color in the glass, clear hue throughout. Nose of peach, wet grass, sea foam and a dash of grapefruit. Later notes of florals and talc. Flavors of lime, peach, minerals and a dash of grapefruit. Bright acidity, medium to full body for an Arneis. Drink over the short term. (94 pts.)

• 2005 Castello della Sala (Antinori) Cervaro della Sala Umbria IGT - Italy, Umbria, Umbria IGT
    WIMLNR

Opened and served immediately. Light yellow to yellow color in the glass, clear hue throughout. Nose of vanilla, creme, pear and a dash of brown spices. Flavors of pears, apples and a bit of minerals. Medium acidity and body. Based on the performance of this bottle I’d recommend drinking now but there was something off about this bottle. It wasn’t anywhere near as rich and full as other bottles tasted as recent as last month. Therefore no rating.

• 1971 Cantina Terre del Barolo Barolo - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    WIML92-94

Opened and allowed to slow-O about 6-7 hours before serving. Garnet color in the glass, surprisingly clear throughout. Lovely nose of tar, berries, thistle, a dash of florals and some wet stones. Pretty full flavors of red berries and red cherries. Still fairly bright acidity, integrated tannins, medium body. Drink over the short term, maybe the medium term. (93 pts.)

• 1998 Albino Rocca Barbaresco Vigneto Brich Ronchi - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco
    WIML92-93?

Opened and served immediately. Dark garnet to purple color in the glass, clear hue throughout. Nose of smoke, berries, a dash of currant and a bit of cinnamon. Flavors of black berries, black licorice and a bit of Bing cherry. Medium to bright acidity, firm tannins, full bodied. Drink now with some air or preferably continue to hold. (92 pts.)

• 1999 Poggio Lungo Morellino di Scansano Riserva - Italy, Tuscany, Maremma, Morellino di Scansano
    WIML90-91?

Dark garnet color in the glass, clear hue throughout. Nose of fertilizer up front followed by notes of berries, a bit of florals and maybe some notes of plum. Flavors of berries, cherries and raspberries. Medium acidity, medium to firm tannins, medium body. Drink or hold. (90 pts.)

• 2000 Antinori Tignanello Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT
    WIML90-91?

Dark garnet color in the glass, clear hue throughout. Nose started off with a bit of coffee followed by currants, saddle soap, a little bit of rose petals and a dash of dark chocolate. Flavors of berries, light notes of currants, some red plums, minerals and a dash of bitters on the medium finish. Medium acidity, tannins and body. Drink or hold. (90 pts.)

• 1997 Casanova di Neri Brunello di Montalcino Tenuta Nuova - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino
    WIML??

Tasted July 15, 2009.

Decanted about 6 hours. Dark garnet to purple color in the glass, clear hue throughout. Nose of wet stones, berries and a bit of fertilizer. Falvors of berries, cherries and reaspberries. Medium to bright acidity, medium tannins, medium body. Drink or hold. Not sure it was showing as well as it could because of the extended decant so withholding a rating.

• 1999 La Fiorita Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino
    WIML91+?

Garnet to dark garnet color in the glass, clear hue throughout. Nose of cocoa powder, currants, melted red licorice and a bit of cinnamon. Flavors of red berries, red cherries and red currants. Medium to bright acidity, medium to firm tannins, medium to full body. Drink or hold. (91 pts.)

• 2001 Masi Amarone della Valpolicella Classico Costasera - Italy, Veneto, Valpolicella, Amarone della Valpolicella Classico
    WIML88?

Dark garnet to purple color in the glass, clear hue throughout. Nose of licorice, black cherries, white pepper and Ricola. Flavors of currants, licorice and bitters on the finish. Medium acidity, medium to firm tannins, medium to full bodied. Drink or hold. (88 pts.)

• 2003 Paolo Bea Sagrantino di Montefalco Secco - Italy, Umbria, Montefalco, Sagrantino di Montefalco
    WIML??

OK, I’m going to tell you right up front. I just don’t get this wine. Dark garnet color in the glass, clear hue throughout. Big nose of currants, light notes of nail polish (flaw?), a really good dusting of white pepper and some somewhat hidden notes of anise. Flavors of melted black licorice with some added notes of berries and a huge bitter finish. Medium to high acidity, firm tannins, full bodied. I guess drink now with plenty of air or continue to hold and hope? As I said, I guess I don’t get this wine. It wouldn’t crack 90 on the WIML scale if I rated it.

• 2005 Domaine des Baumard Quarts de Chaume - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Quarts de Chaume
    WIML95?

Served from 375ml format. Light yellow color in the glass, clear hue throughout. Nose of lychee, orange and honeysuckle. Flavors of honey, apricot and orange foam. Think and unctuous on the palate without being cloying. This should be a real stunner with lots more age on it. Can be drank now but I’d hold. (95 pts.)

• 1996 Château Guiraud - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes
    WIML88

Dark yellow to amber color in the glass, clear hue throughout. Nose of apricot, honeysuckle, a bit if spice and a dash of orange. Flavors of apricot and almonds. Short finish. Medium acidity, light to medium body. I’d lean towards drinking this wine now myself. (88 pts.)

Thanks Joe for putting this all up, I need to stop being such a slacker. My favorite was the '71 Barolo, thanks for bringing it! [welldone.gif]

I am finishing up the Paolo Bea now (third day) and it’s better than the second and way better than the first. Fruit is much more subdued, not as VP-like, but the dryness of the finish is much more obvious. Would be willing to put a lot away for a long time. Maybe I’ll save a glass for tomorrow.