TN: Couple Voerzio...red/white

• 1997 Roberto Voerzio Langhe Chardonnay fossati roscaleto - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC (7/8/2010)
    This wine fascinates me! I might be the only person(w/an occasional friend) in the US drinking this stuff? It is fresh and clean as any newly released Chardonnay…wonderful aromatics of lemon, minerals, tropical fruits, pie crust, marzipan, little toffee. In the mouth its fresh and crisp…yet has a good body to it, young feel. I get tropical fruit, melon, marzipan…wonderful chalky/dusty minerals, and a lot of nuttiness. Good balance of citrus acid, and creaminess…plenty of complexity. Got even better as it opened. And to think, Roberto ripped out these vines for more Nebbiolo??? Too bad. (95 pts.)
  • 2004 Roberto Voerzio Dolcetto d’Alba Priavino - Italy, Piedmont, Alba, Dolcetto d’Alba (7/8/2010)
    More open then past bottles…fresh crushed red fruits, with plum darkness…nice firm and dry tannin giving it a good balance to the sweet fruit. More complex than you would think…dried herbs/tobacco, anise, rose florals, dusty cherry/dried orange spice, some tar…all fresh with tangy citrus acidity. Tasted better this time, NOT, having it with the traditional pasta dish…but rather just meat. The cheap way to drink Voerzio everyday! (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker on GrapeStories.com

Another '04 Dolcetto tonight…delish! That Chard is a freak though…LOVE the stuff!

Ciao [cheers.gif]

So, does anyone else out there drink Dolcetto with 7+ age on it?? Sippin on another of these tonight…shows more plum and leather, still fresh and tasty. Hell, I even have '01 left?
What’s the oldest Dolcetto you have had?

I’ll keep my one man thread going here………Almost 2 cases of this gone…SO much simple pleasure drinking these….who knew that Dolcetto could age like this? Now I want to see how that 2001 is doing?? Anyone else ever had, or even seen, that Chard from Voerzio??? Freak show! [shock.gif]

• 2004 Roberto Voerzio Dolcetto d’Alba Priavino - Italy, Piedmont, Alba, Dolcetto d’Alba (8/20/2015)
    At 11yrs of age…this Dolcetto is still going strong! Taking on a little fine claret here….soft and silky smooth tannins…dusty earth and dried tobacco spice….leather, licorice, cigar box, pencil lead, nuttiness……the fruit is still plump and sweet…plum, blackberry, cherry, currants……all mellow and soft…not mind-blowing…but quite nice. The tar, rose florals, orange acidity sneak in there raising the Italian flag……again all in a pretty simple fashion……tasty non the less! LOVE Voerzio….I’d buy water if he bottled it! (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Bud - thanks for the interesting notes. I don’t have much experience with Italian chardonnay and would not have expected a 97 to show like that. I have a couple of bottles of his 2008 Langhe; do you have any experience with aging those?

Brian? YES…those Langhe are even better…great way to enjoy Voerzio without breaking the bank and waiting for the Barolo’s to age! Here’s a few….

• 2001 Roberto Voerzio Langhe Nebbiolo Vigneti S. Francesco Fontanazza - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC (5/20/2013)
    It’s been 5 years since my last bottle of this, always a killer wine, this bottle showing its age though. More bricking and tan around the rim…dusty, old leather, slight orange VA, wild berry fruit nose. This has always been SO young tasting…seems that age has finally caught up. Still…has a high toned Nebbiolo character…tart wild red berry fruit, dusty rose petal/ cinnamon spice, dried oranges, some tar, leather. Love the dried fruit, and dusty spice…might be a little more tart acid than fruit…does much better with food. Not as good as the last couple bottles…but still a tasty Nebb…and always a pleasure to have Voerzio in the glass! (92 pts.)
  • 2003 Roberto Voerzio Langhe Nebbiolo Vigneti S. Francesco Fontanazza - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC (8/28/2012)
    This is drinking in a perfect place right now…the ripe '03 fruit works well with the super dusty dry tannin and minerals…giving it a great feel in the mouth…liqueur berry fruit, plum, cherry…dusty dry barrel spice, tar, dried roses/oranges/tobacco. Beautiful florals, licorice…and mouth puckering dryness…drinks like a Barolo! Great stuff! (93 pts.)
  • 2008 Roberto Voerzio Langhe Nebbiolo Vigneti S. Francesco Fontanazza - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC (4/17/2012)
    Loooove me some Voerzio! Of course, young primal fruit right now, a little raisin, but a nice ripeness to age. Dark berry fruit, sweet, yet accompanied by some good dry tannin structure. Great flavors of tar, dried roses, licorice, dusty cherry spice. Med bodied, but loaded with flavor, plush in feel. Some orange acidity, crunchy shale, lovely flowers perfume. Finish is a little clipped and dry…but with food, it flows. Should age into something even better. Great Neb! +pts (91 pts.)
  • 2000 Roberto Voerzio Langhe Nebbiolo Vigna Serra - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC (11/24/2010)
    80% Nebbiolo, 10% Barbera, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon. MAN this needs a big decant! Seems even tighter than the last time in '07? Dark cloudy plum/garnet color; crushed berry, dried roses, spearmint gum, dark chocolate oranges, potting soil nose. Beautiful nose! This wine needs serious Italian food! Huge dose of orange citrus acidity, and drying tannins. With food(garlic shrimp spaghetti), it releases its grip…revealing dark rustic berry fruit, wooded spices, anise, dried tobacco leaf, orange acidic kick. Not as blown away as last time…still more tannic and dry in this bottle…but very tasty! Hopefully the fruit won’t dry out completely…since this seems to have the stuffing for some serious age. Great Neb! (93 pts.)
  • 2001 Roberto Voerzio Langhe Nebbiolo Vigneti S. Francesco Fontanazza - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC (12/28/2008)
    Pretty similar to my last bottle…maybe a little more blood orange, cinnamon and rose petal detected…wonderful dusty earth spice, tarness, wild berries. Still very youthful…can go WAY longer… (94 pts.)
  • 1999 Roberto Voerzio Langhe Nebbiolo Vigna Serra - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC (3/3/2005)
    Dark garnet, rustic plum in color. Huge nose of black cherry, cassis, roses, lavender, blood oranges, plum liqueur. After an hour opened, the flavors intensify in the mouth; with earth mineral, white pepper spice, anise, sweet tobacco, dark orange chocolate. Big acid, firm tannic grip…but it lets the floralness, and sweet ripe fruit, come out nicely. Love the earth dust! Blend of Nebbiolo, Barbera, and Cabernet. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Brian, yes, sorry, BC (before coffee) post. Looks like I will need to add some more Voerzio to the cellar. Thanks for the notes.