TN: Coche-Dury Corton Charlemagne 2000 - 2012

This is a question I have been pondering. I had the 2006 last month. It showed well, but not as well (relative to their appellations) as the village Meursault is showing. The Meursault really seems to have gained freshness and interest in the last couple of years, whereas the CC hasn’t. Coche says to drink it now, but if it tenses up like the Merusault villages seems to have done, then waiting a few more years might be worth the gamble. At the end of the day, one only knows after the fact.

May have a bottle of the 2008 tomorrow!

Thanks to both of you. I may hold for a few more years - maybe for its 15th birthday.

I drank a 2010 over the weekend:

Shared with a friend over the course of an evening. It’s difficult to put into words the potential that this wine has. I’ve rarely encountered such a monumental White Burgundy at such an infant stage. Coche held back the release for 5 years because he didn’t want it to be drunk too young (I think he did the same with the equally backward 2005). That said, he probably should have held on to it for another 10 years at least !

At present, the nose is all about minerality, mostly chalk and flint but also some seashore salinity and citrus. The palate is immense but wrapped in a blanket of intense acidity. There is fruit evident but as yet it is playing second fiddle to the structure of the wine. The last glass, after 5 hours in a decanter, shows the softer side. Yellow fruits and white flowers have emerged. The wine has sweetened up as its rocky cocoon has finally yielded to the air.

Judging by the secondary market price and critics’ scores, this wine has already been deemed to be a future legend. I can’t disagree. Now to find some more!

96 was rightfully held back also.

My lone experience with this wine was from 91, where it went head-to-head and lost a controversial and hotly debated split decision with the group to 91 Ramonet Montrachet (I was in the latter camp). I think the notes are probably floating somewhere over on Squires. Two stunning wines, for sure.

So special, Don—amazing opportunity that it looks like you and the group made the most of. I know very difficult to ping an answer on this because the vintages were all different, but which did you think went the best with the particular food dish served?

For flint/matchstick, Leflaive came to mind for me too, Stuart. Occasionally, some Roulot can get that too, at least for me. It is something I do like.

where they’re not premoxed, 04 was a wonderful year for CC. I’ve had two poxed and about 4 great examples from different producers (I’m 1/2 with BdM in that year)

sante,

Mike

Wow, considering the current cost of these, sounds like a truly baller event. Can’t do these kind of tastings very often. Interesting.

Mike all the dishes were made to go with the wines by Chris. The matches were all great. No one really stuck out. The 2003 was the exception. Just not a great wine.

Don,

Thought that I had finally cracked the queue with the ‘12 @ Kermit the Lynch retail. Alas, my two bottle allocation was it. None since. I live in hope. Many Thanks for the data point.