TN: Clos Vougeot 1996 Louis Jadot

This is a Domaine Louis Jadot Wine.

A beautiful dark ruby red color with just a slight hint of bricking around the edge, visually there is no hint of the wines age. Wine the cork was pulled there was initially an aroma of ripe dark berry fruit. Then when a bit was poured there was a bit of sous bois and a touch of funky coffee and caramel, but that blew off really quickly. What was left was a very nice bouquet of berry fruit, underbrush, and some nice minerality. On the palate this is beautifully balanced with sweet berry fruit, just a slight touch of soft toasty wood, nicely integrated tannins, and lingering finish. If there is any complaint it would be that there is just a touch of astringent tannins at the very end. But honestly I like that little bite at the end.

This probably has quite a few years to go in a well stored bottle. I will probably wait 3 to 4 years before trying another. That being said I would definitely enjoy opening my other bottles now.

A votre santé,

Sounds yummy. Now I am hungry!

Thanks for the report. I have some '96 Jadots but haven’t tried any recently!

thanks,
had the 1996 Bonnes Mares second time.
First last year was really nice,fruity and open for business,second this year was really tight and closed,maybe bottle variation(different cellaring).
Think i wait 2-3 years for the next impression.

Nice to hear positive notes about '96 burgs. Thanks!