TN: Chapitre and Induction Dinner of the Chevaliers du Tastevin, Albany, NY

CHAPITRE AND INDUCTION DINNER OF THE CHEVALIERS DU TASTEVIN - Fort Orange Club, Albany, NY (10/14/2023)

The Albany-Capital Region chapter of La Confrérie des Chevaliers du Tastevin held its 2023 Chapitre and Induction Dinner at the Fort Orange Club in Albany, NY.

We had the induction at 6:30 and the dinner at 7:30. None of the wines were decanted, but all were opened ahead of time. See each note for the timing.

Photos and more details can be found on my website.

First Course

Seared Diver Scallops with Parsnip Puree, Toasted Hazelnut Butter, Pomegranate Seeds.

• 2014 Antonin Guyon Meursault 1er Cru Les Charmes-Dessus - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru
    [Removed from the refrigerator and opened at 7pm . Served at 7:30.] Big, rich, lemon custard nose. Complex and expansive in the mouth. Very long, bright finish. A perfect match with the scallops. (94 points)

Second Course

Hudson Valley Duck Breast with Luxardo Cherry, Mizuna Salad, Radish, Truffle Vinaigrette.

• 2008 Jacques-Frédéric Mugnier Bonnes Mares - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Bonnes Mares Grand Cru
    [Opened at 6:30 pm. Served at 8:00pm.] Nose has a bit of a green streak on first taste, but this blows off revealing an earthy, rich nose of black fruit. Big and rich in the mouth with deep fruit and firm tannins. If I owned this wine, I'd wait at least 5 years to open a bottle. I thought this was better with the beef course and this delicious duck course. 95-98 potential. (95 points)

Third Course

Elk Loin with Sweet Potato Puree, Port Reduction, Charred Shallot, Asparagus.

Fourth Course

Beef Short Rib with Crispy Leeks, Pommes de Terre, Horseradish Butter.

• 2009 Faiveley Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Les Cazetiers - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru
    [Opened at 6:15 pm. Served at 9:00pm.] Bright cherry nose. Sweet red fruit. Elegant. Medium length. Acidity is high, but appealing with the beef short ribs. (93 points)

Fifth Course

Hudson Valley Camembert, Old Chatham Ewe's Blue, Three Milk Gouda, Fig Chutney, Berries, Honey, Bread Alone French Baguette.

• 2010 Hospices de Beaune Beaune 1er Cru Cuvée Maurice Drouhin Joseph Drouhin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Beaune 1er Cru
    [This was bottled for Joel Spiro. Joel was one of the founders of this chapter. He passed away in 2021. May his memory be a blessing. These bottles were donated by his son, Scott Spiro.] Nose of red and black fruit. This wine is singing, really showing its best. What a treat. Thanks to Scott for continuing the generosity of his father. (93 points)

Another terrific evening of wine, food, and friends.

Posted from CellarTracker

4 Likes