TN: Cavs-GSW Pregame (Paul B. comes to CLE)

CAVS-GSW PREGAME (PAUL B. COMES TO CLE) - Somewhere on E. 4th street (6/9/2016)

Last night was game 3 of the NBA Finals. Thru Facebook, I saw that Paul B. was coming with his family for the game. A dinner invitation was extended and accepted and we met at the chef’s table of one of our favorite places. Bottles got opened, great food was served and the 6 of us had a great time. i love wine for its ability to introduce us to new people and new experiences. Whenever we travel, we seek out other wine lovers. Likewise, when we hear that people are coming to the America’s North Coast (northeastern Ohio), we like to show them some hospitality as well. It was great to meet Paul and his family and while I hope their team loses, perhaps the rest of their stay will make up for it.

• 2013 Rhys Chardonnay Alpine Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    This bottle was opened at 1:00 and allowed to breathe for 3 hours. Then put in the fridge, still open, for another hour, before being recorked and taken to the restaurant. Great showing and needs every bit of that air and more (or better yet, cellaring). Green-gold in color. The nose is great with grapefruit, vanilla and lemon curd. On the palate, real depth here but so precise. Some vanilla/spice showing but not obtrusive and the fruit is certainly dominant. Great balance. Wonderful, slightly oily texture. Long finish. Great showing, but I need to save other bottles for a few years at least. (94 pts.)
  • 2004 Shafer Cabernet Sauvignon Hillside Select - USA, California, Napa Valley, Stags Leap District
    Cork crumbled a bit on opening. I thought i noted some tca but when I poured out a taste, it seemed fine. I let the wine breathe for 7 hours then took to the restaurant. I poured a glass and light tca. The wine seemed great underneath, but enough tca that I could not enjoy it. I put it back in the bag and hopefully will get it replaced. NR (flawed)
  • 2013 Maybach Family Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Materium - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville
    Fast becoming my wife’s favorite wine. She kept going back to this all night. I opened the bottle at 7:00am and let it breathe all day. Recorked at 4:30 and took it back to the restaurant. This was showing great if very young. Purple in color. A nose of cassis, cedar, minerals and licorice. On the palate, just a great soft yet vibrant texture. Deep and complex. Loads of cassis and minerals. Great balance. A bit more air or time and this gets to 100 points I am sure. Is it as good as the 07? It would be cool to drink side by side. (98 pts.)
  • 2008 Sine Qua Non Grenache THE Line - USA, California, Central Coast
    Paul brought this so it was pnp and the restaurant. Purple in color. The nose has loads of black cherries. Also some black raspberries and spice with a bit of floral notes. On the palate, this is juicy with loads of black cherry and black raspberry fruit. Some spice. Lots going on here, and a little air would help it. Still, a delicious wine and a great showing. (95 pts.)
  • 2012 SonkinCellars Persona - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County
    Opened and allowed to breathe for 4 hours before recorking and taking to the restaurant where it got another hour of air. Purple in color. On opening there is a bit of funk but that blew off for the most part. The nose is a bit tight but nice black raspberries and black cherries with slight earthiness and plenty of white pepper. On the palate, this is drinking very smooth with air. While tight, 2012 gives the feeling of accessibility. I believe this is a good five years from peaking though, probably more. And of course, this is an obviously BIASED tasting note. YMMV.

We had a great time and the Cavs won! Perfect evening with some great wines too.
Posted from CellarTracker

You know, when I read this thread title this morning, my first thought was “You are a much better man than I, Gunga Din”.

I was no fan of the departed Paul, and quite frankly would have almost zero desire to meet with him in person given his internet persona. But as I thought about that, I was reminded of another fellow poster from the Parker Board who cultivated a deliberately provocative/confrontational on-line presence, one Andy Raffle. And after “meeting” him on the Parker board, I did have the pleasure to actually dine with Andy on several occasions, and in person he was a pretty engaging and humorous guy (besides being a Giants football fan, normally a pretty good indicator of character [cheers.gif] ).

At any rate, I guess that’s a good example/lesson regarding why we shouldn’t immediately dismiss someone out-of-hand because their internet persona might unduly irritate us.

Okay, enough early morning philosophy. Loren, re: the Persona’s maturity, how does 2012 compare to 2013? And which of your wines is normally “ready” first, the Persona or the Unmasked? And finally, when are the 2014’s being offered?

Good insight Bob. I was not on the board when said post’s were going on so I’m not sure what happened. What I do know is I’m not in the wine capital of the world here in Oklahoma. I reached out to Paul on another board. He helped guide me in the right direction and his kindness spilled out. I had the honor of spending a few hours at dinner with Paul and watching the true Champs (Thunder:) play. Paul’s personality and kindness has made him a family friend for life.

Sorry Loren I did not mean to make this a love fest for Paul. I thought I needed to put this out there. We all have very strong personal opinions that come across many different ways. I like Bob’s post that we can’t judge everyone by what we read here.

Bob, I think the 11 is drinking the best right now followed by the 09. The 10 is pretty shut down as is the 13. The 12 needs time/air but given that, it can open. As a general rule our Persona is more open then the Unmasked (we started this in 2012). 2012 is a more open vintage in general and broader and less concentrated. I think people underestimate the ageing of the 2012’s because of how open they are now. I think the 2013’s are a bit better. The 14’s will most likely be released in 14. The 14 Unmasked is killer IMO. I don’t have a good read yet on the Persona.