TN: Bruno Giacosa Asili and Rabajà

BRUNO GIACOSA ASILI AND RABAJÀ - La Brasserie, NYC (3/28/2023)

This Nebbiolo group (formed through the Vinous forum) met at La Brasserie in NYC to taste Bruno Giacosa Barbarescos labeled as Asili or Rabajà. During this period (1996-2005) these wines came from two distinct parcels, both of which would be officially declared to be Asili. For more on this, see this page on my website.

The food and service were excellent. Within a month of our dinner, La Brasserie rebranded itself as Chez Francis Brasserie. The space that this restaurant occupies, was once occupied by Brasserie Les Halles where Anthony Bourdain was executive chef starting in 1998.

Photos and more details can be found on my website.

Starter

Flight 1: Giacosa Rabajà

• 1996 Bruno Giacosa Barbaresco Rabajà - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco
    [Double-decanted around 9am.] Smoky black fruit nose. Long finish of red fruit and spice. Gorgeous, elegant tannins so characteristic of Bruno Giacosa wines. (95 points)
  • 1998 Bruno Giacosa Barbaresco Rabajà - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco
    [Double-decanted around 11am.] Big, smokey, red fruit nose jumps from the glass. But in the mouth, the fruit is overwhelmed by tannin. Not quite sure what to make of this. Maybe it needs more time, but that would be odd for this ripe vintage. 92? (92 points)
  • 2000 Bruno Giacosa Barbaresco Rabajà - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco
    [Double-decanted around 1pm.] Sweet red fruit nose with a bit of spice. Lots of ripe red fruit and plenty of elegant tannins. Medium length, but very enjoyable. If you've got it, start drinking it! (94 points)

Flight 2: Giacosa Asili Riserva

• 1996 Bruno Giacosa Barbaresco Riserva Asili - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco
    [Double-decanted around 9am.] Nose of spicy, rich, red and black fruit. A stunning, expansive wine with elegance and richness. Classic Giacosa tannins and balance. A wow wine. WOTN by acclamation. (98 points)
  • 2000 Bruno Giacosa Barbaresco Riserva Asili - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco
    [Double-decanted for 3 hours starting around 11am.] Gorgeous nose of black fruit. Sweet fruit, long finish. Fabulous. Start drinking these up. (95 points)
  • 2007 Bruno Giacosa Barbaresco Riserva Asili - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco
    [Double-decanted for one hour starting around 8am.] Big black fruit nose. Sweet, tart cherries in the mouth. Not much tannin. Delicious now. Probably reaching its peak now, but won't fade any time soon. (93 points)

Flight 3: Giacosa Asili

• 1997 Bruno Giacosa Barbaresco Asili - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco
    [Double-decanted around 9am.] Beautiful, sweet red fruit nose. Plenty of elegant tannins. Long with lots of juicy red fruit. Lovely (94 points)
  • 1999 Bruno Giacosa Barbaresco Asili - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco
    [Double-decanted around 11am.] Gorgeous perfume of flowers and black fruit. Fills the mouth and explodes with complex fruit. Powerful and rich, but with so much balance and elegance. Another wow from me. My #2 WOTN. (97 points)
  • 2005 Bruno Giacosa Barbaresco Asili - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco
    [Not double-decanted but given slow oxidation for 3 hours starting around 3pm.] Fragrant nose of black cherries. Tight in the mouth. Needed more air, still a very goodwine. (93 points)

A terrific array of wonderful wines and lovely evening with friends.

Posted from CellarTracker

6 Likes

Thanks for posting about what is arguably the best Barbaresco IMO
What does NV stand for?

1 Like

I was wondering this one as well.

1 Like

Likely referring to the Krug but just missing the word Krug in the title

Edit: Welp…

2 Likes

Sorry, NV is my own abbreviation for this group, “Neb Vinous”. I realize it’s a poor choice out of context. :nerd_face:

Thanks for sharing Ken. Have a single mag of 2007 Riserva Asili…good to go our wait…and how long?

For a mag, I’d wait maybe 5 years, then any time in the next 10. Of course, YMMV.

Thanks for the notes. I hope that '98 Rabaja comes around, as I have some.

1 Like

I always appreciate your notes Ken.

1 Like

That you have massive NV about the wines they get to drink.

1 Like

The two 1996’s sound fabulous, I would have loved to taste them side by side. Agree on the 2000 Rabaja — should be ready to drink now. Thanks for posting, great notes.

1 Like