TN: Brunellos

Did a small group distanced tasting of Brunellos this week.

1990 Castello Banfi Brunello di Montalcino – my offering, out of magnum – I hadn’t touched this since purchase and figured it might be time to see what it was doing. Fortunately an excellent bottle (the bottle size may have enhanced chances n that front). The only indication of age was a slight browning at the edges and a mahogany colour in the centre of the wine, and it had a nose of cherry, cedar, leather, maybe a hint of roasted chestnuts. Smooth on palate with a medium length dry finish. I finished the rest of the magnum with She-who-must-be-obeyed after the group had left.

2006 Il Poggione Brunello di Montalcino – dark colour, excellent black cherry nose with toasted pine nuts, smooth on palate, tasty and with good length

2006 Il Poggione Brunello di Montalcino – yes, we had a duplicate. My notes tasting blind varied however. This bottle showed similar dark fruit nose, medium weight on palate and a somewhat longer finish.

2006 Castelgiocondo Brunello di Montalcino Riserva – fairly dark colour and dark fruit with a ripe component and hint of mint in the nose. Well balanced wine that finished cleanly with medium length. Funny – the second choice for what I thought of pouring was this wine but a 2001 Ripe al Convento Risera, and I still have a bottle of the regular 1990 which has held up very well over the years although going through a short awkward stage for a few year.

2006 La Fiorita Brunello di Montalcino Riserva – funny how everyone but me happened to have gone for the 2006 vintage! This 15% alcohol wine showed an unusual wet cement, plum and a bit of forest floor nose, had good acidity, seemed to be a more modern style and developed some smokiness in the nose with time in the glass. I can’t see this one improving from now on.
To go with the cheese, I opened this:

1998 Stefano Accordini Passo – this Veneto wine made from several grapes including cab and merlot as well as indigenous varietals, was very dark, ripe and pretty one dimensional. A bit over the top for me. Went passably well (no pun intended) with the cheese. Fortunately my last bottle.

We had accompanied the wines with a soup made from green beans, soy beans and smoked ham hocks, a delicious simple tagliolini pasta dressed simply with oil, butter salt and minced black truffle, all followed by a beef meatball with tomato sauce, followed by cheeses.
IMG_5341.jpg

Enjoyed the post Bill in BC. Duplicates blind from different providence are challenging, right?

You bet. Last thing people think is that it might be the same wine!