TN: brief impressions on miscellaneous reds

Here are a few impressions on various reds from the past couple of months. Not great with details; I have a mediocre palate anyway. [cheers.gif] Trying to do better with writing up TNs…

Domaine Bertheau 1998 Chambolle Musigny 1er Cru Les Charmes – exceeded (relatively high) expectations. In a perfect spot – drink now. Balanced, good acidity. Offers both deep red fruits and earthy flavors, yum. Don’t know if more current vintages are such good QPR.

Louis Jadot 2009 Beaune 1er Cru – met expectations. This is the Celebration/Anniversary bottling. Fruit forward, ripe, easy drinking. Early in its drinking plateau? Not every burg needs to be “serious”. It ain’t special but it’s great value that’s fun.

Sandler 2016 Pinot Noir Bien Nacido – I’ve enjoyed many bottles of Sandler for their excellent QPR, but this wine was at a whole other level. Really hit the spot, with surprising depth and fruit in all the right places. [wow.gif]

Château de Reignac 2005 Bordeaux Supérieur – In a really good spot, this exceeded expectations. Nice ripe fruit with no flabbiness, good balance. Didn’t expect to like this value wine so much. Maybe too modern for some?

Anderson’s Conn Valley Vineyards 2006 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Reserve – met expectations as an excellent wine that checks all the boxes for a balanced, restrained Napa cab with beautiful texture. Not for contemplation, but delicious.

Cadence 2007 Camerata Cara Mia Vineyard – this was ok, but didn’t meet expectations. We seldom drink Washington state wines, but have always enjoyed Cadence and consider them good value. This bottle was a bit tired, without particularly interesting secondary development. A 2013 Camerata that we opened a couple of months ago was a better wine. That vintage had CF and PV in its blend along with CS and Merlot; don’t recall if the 2007 included those varieties.

Thanks for reading,
Peter

1 Like

nice notes. Thanks.

Thanks for the notes. The Bertheau 98s that I’ve had over the last few years (Bonnes Mares twice and Amoureuses) were terrific as well.

Especially if you bought that wine from Magruders, which acquired all of the 98 Bertheau chambolles upon the liquidation of the local kermit lynch distributor. As i recall, they had the villages bottling, the premier cru, the charmes and the amoueuses - all priced at $20 each!

Now that was some good QPR!

I was going to mention that, but didn’t have the heart! When we first tried them, I preferred the Charmes to the Amoureuses. :flushed: Why didn’t you force me to buy a case of Les Amoureuses anyway???
Regards,
Peter

I think by the time I learned of these at the store, they were down to two of the Amoureuses and I bought both. Frankly, I usually prefer the Charmes and the Premier Cru. I find Amoureuses a bit soft.