TN: A visit to Maison Trimbach

A VISIT TO MAISON TRIMBACH - Alsace, France (3/10/2017)

Last week, while visiting our son who is taking a college semester in Luxembourg, my wife and I ventured down to Alsace to meet up with Anne Trimbach. We had met Anne once before when she was in Cleveland and she graciously agreed to give us a tour of the cellars and taste us thru some wines. The winery is picturesque and the tour was quite interesting. Then we settled into a tasting room that had some old empty bottles including a 1958 (my birth year) Clos Ste Hune. Bet that was good.

I will say that from the few 2015’s we tried here and other places, it looks, for my tastes anyway, to be a stellar year and I look forward to the wines. In the meanwhile, the current vintages are not too shabby. Trimbach has some very pricey but excellent wines to be sure, but they also excel at the lower ends and should not be overlooked.

Anne opened many bottles and a few more that had been left over from the weekend (we were there on a Monday morning). We learned a lot of history, talked life and wine and had a great time. Thank you Anne.

• 2015 Trimbach Pinot Blanc - France, Alsace
    My first taste of anything from Alsace in 2015 and this wine is up a couple of notches from prior vintages. That is exciting. the nose is peachy with minerals. Good acidity. On the palate, a creamy texture has more body than expected. Chalk, lemon and bits of apple on the attack. The chalk is more like almond milk if that makes sense. Some citrus on the finish. A lot going on here for an under $20 wine. Screaming good deal. I wouldn’t try to make old bones out of it, but you never know I guess. (90 pts.)
  • 2014 Trimbach Riesling Reserve - France, Alsace
    Light golden in color. Slight petrol on the nose with some minerals. On the palate, some grapefruit. A bit hollow on the mid palate, but finishes long and strong. Nice wine. (89 pts.)
  • 2014 Trimbach Riesling Sélection Vieilles Vignes - France, Alsace
    A step up from the Riesling Reserve. From old vines in what they hope may someday be a 1er Cru if they allow such a designation. Its more concentrated and tight but opens in the glass. Minerals and lemons. On the palate minerals and grapefruit with a bit of salinity. Long finish in which the grapefruit gets stronger. Seems like it needs another year or two, but very promising. (90 pts.)
  • 2008 Trimbach Riesling Cuvée Frédéric Emile - France, Alsace
    Very impressive wine. Light golden in color, this does not seem like a 9 year old Riesling. The nose has ever so slight petrol and minerals combined with lime, and an herbal note that borders on minty but not quite. Very nice. On the palate, there are lemons and yellow grapefruit as well as a core of minerals. Great acidity. Long finish. It keeps opening in the glass. Really pretty special wine. (94 pts.)
  • 2011 Trimbach Riesling Clos Ste. Hune - France, Alsace
    A wow wine for me. More importantly my wife insisted we buy a bottle (and its not inexpensive)! Green gold in color. The nose is very clean with minerals, slight apricot and that same herbal note that runs thru these Rieslings. On the palate, chalk, yellow grapefruit and minerals. Long finish. There is some warmth on the finish but it is not hot and I liked it. This is still young of course for this wine and I would give it a few years more to develop. Certainly one of the great Rieslings in the wine world. (95 pts.)
  • 2014 Trimbach Pinot Gris Reserve - France, Alsace
    Light golden in color. The nose is peach and pears. On the palate, this is broad. Slight acidity. The peaches carry thru. Apples show up on the finish. Nice minerality. A very solid wine. (88 pts.)
  • 2014 Trimbach Gewurztraminer - France, Alsace
    This is always one of my favorite value wines. Year in and out, gorgeous nose, and great fruit. Of course, I love Gewurz. The 2014 is no exception for me. Silvery gold in color. The nose has lychees and oranges. Moderate acidity. Slightly sweet. On the palate more orange peel with a bitterness to work with the slight sweetness. Nice finish. Great value too. (90 pts.)
  • 2011 Trimbach Gewurztraminer Cuvée des Seigneurs de Ribeaupierre - France, Alsace
    This is a new wine for me. The bottle we tried had been open for about 48 hours in the fridge so facotr that in. Slivery gold in color. The nose has slight lychee but for the most part I don’t think I would ID this as Gewurz blind. It almost has a roasted vegetable quality that is very nice along with sea air. Very creamy texture. Nice acidity but very smooth. There is a bit of sweetness but less than the 14 Gewurz. Again on the palate, some lychee but just a different animal and hard for me to describe. Still, I bought a bottle to spend more time with this. (93 pts.)
  • 2008 Trimbach Gewurztraminer Sélection de Grains Nobles Hors Choix - France, Alsace
    Golden in color. The nose has honey and white raisins. Vsicous. On the palate, slightly bitter as Gewurz may be with a honeyed quality to it. Sweet but not cloying. Long, long finish. I really enjoyed this a lot but I couldn’t justify the expensive price tag on this. I know this is not really what Trimbach is all about and that this is a rare and special wine though, so it was a real treat to be offered this. (92 pts.)

Thanks again to Anne and please, if you are ever back in Cleveland, let us know.
Posted from CellarTracker

What is the price on the Hors Choix?

IIRC, it was a bit north of $150 per 750ml.

Can you disclose what they charge for the Clos Ste. Hune?

Great report, haven’t had the 2008 FE yet. The Gewurtz Seigneurs is a real favorite of mine. In fact, I just pulled a 2001 to take on an anniversary celebration this weekend. It may just be starting to get into its prime drinking window.

It’s been some years since I had a chance to visit. I remember when they opened the tasting room in the mid-90’s. They had multiple vintages of Clos Ste. Hune for sale. Riesling was just not popular back then.

Is the 2013 Clos St Hune available? When I was there last summer I think the vintage for sale was the 2008? (fwiw, price was 140 Euros)

Same question as per Prum, is it easy to get an invite?

Also, how much do they charge for CFE and CSH?

Cheers!

IIRC 104 Euros

IIRC, the 2011 is the current release.

As I said, I had met Anne before so I just contacted her directly. I am not sure, but I think it should not be too hard with an appointment though.

THe CSH was 104Euros and I will try to look for the CFE as I don’t remember.

Thanks.

Correction. It was the 2011 CSH. Corrected above. Sorry.