TN: a gem from Burgundy

2021 Jean Tardy, Bourgogne Hautes-Côtes de Nuits „Cuvée Maëlie“

What a beauty! A true honest Pinot with finesse and 12,5%. Grapes from a lot (Concœur) above Vosne-Romanées.

A basket of red fruits with fine/elegant tannins and an acidity which delivers freshness. Bottom-line this Pinot is relaxed „unaufgeregt “ good. I bought it for 44€ in Germany.

A hidden gem from Burgundy.

91/100

3 Likes

I think tardy wines can be a good value, they used to be rustic but maybe not as much now.

I read that too on cellartracker regarding the old vintages, but not this time. 2021 is a good vintage, maybe this helped and/or the winemaker developped.

Note: I made a correction

I’m not sure I’d agree on that assessment of 2021; I do think it can be a very charming “classic” vintage but not sure I’d call it outstanding.

OK, you are the expert.

The 2019 was good for the then price of 30€ but I would never pay 44€ for it. That said I reckon the 2021 fruit probably would appeal more to my palate than the riper 2019, even if the vintage is generally considered weaker.

99 Tardy NSG Boudots was stunning.
Recent 17 Chambolle Athets less impressive.
Not sure what to make of Tardy, but very few data points.
Thanks for the note.

1 Like

Tardy had a metayage agreement with Meo on the Nuits Boudots for many years, ending after the 2006 vintage. The Tardy wines made from the Meo plots were excellent, but I haven’t seen their wines in the US since they lost those vineyards. I’m glad to see that the family continues to make good wines.

1 Like

„ Jean Tardy is a long-established domaine in Vosne. I’ve enjoyed many of their wines over the past 30 years, although I think I’m right in saying that the Burgundy cognoscenti used not to rate them very highly but their reputation’s improved“

Colin Bradley

W. Kelley reviewed the wines according to my wine dealer.

The wines are now way overpriced. I’ve had the HCdN Cuvée Maelie several times from other vintages and it always sold for slightly above 20 Euros. That price was ok for the quality. At 44 Euros, it’s too expensive for my personal taste. I’ve visited the estate twice. Pretty good wines, but - just like a lot of other wines from the Côte de Nuits - these days, the prices have gotten out of hand.

Right you are Steven :prices did get out of hand; Even a bigger problem is that domaine owners think it is only natural and logic to triple prices. When I last visited Liger Belair he warned that wherever young viticulteurs take over prices will rise enormously. (We were talking about the (r)evolution at ARNOUX-Lachaux). Fortunately that is not the case everywhere: young Clair (Bruno Clair’s son) kept his prices very reasonably. so did young Gouges, and Alix Millot and even Mathilde GRIVOT seems to keep it all under control. At least for the moment.

Opened the 1998 Tardy NSG Boudots a couple of weeks ago - totally agree @Kent_Comley. Had a lot of that great Vosne spice from the Boudots proximity, Such a well integrated wine too, which shows the longevity of Tardy Boudots from the period. Stellar.