TN: A couple of CdP's

A COUPLE OF CDP’S - My home (5/6/2015)

I sat down with friends to enjoy a couple of CdP’s. These provided a nice contrast. Both were enjoyed non-blind over a few hours.

• 2004 Cuvée du Vatican Châteauneuf-du-Pape Réserve Sixtine - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    This seems to be in a great spot. Seems pretty much at peak. Ruby/purple in color. The nose has dark cherries, black olives and some grilled meat quality. Great texture. Medium bodied. Tannins all resolved. Nothing over the hill though. Really easy and delicious drinking. Layers of complexity. I would prefer slightly more acidity. everything I hoped for when opening though. (92 pts.)
  • 2010 Roger Sabon Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Prestige - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    I wanted something a bit younger and this was great. Certainly not yet at peak, it may improve a point or more, but delicious right now. Purple in color. The nose has black cherries, red and black licorice, spice and camphor. Complex and deep. Full bodied. On the palate, there is a lot of fruit and a lot of depth. Enough acidity to carry it all. Great lush texture. Juicy. It drinks very easily. Great showing now, but patience will be rewarded. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Good TNs! Encouraged by your review of the Roger Sabon Cuvee Prestige…I’m a fan of other wines by the extended Sabon family, but have been disappointed by the grandfather’s label in the past. Yours is the second positive commentary I’ve seen recently on the 2010. Sounds like a good candidate for the upcoming weekend!

I tasted the 2013 Sixtine earlier this week. Not a fruit bomb. The fruit seemed like it would turn out quite elegant with some time in the bottle. The Grenache is dominant now but I think, with age, the syrah will provide more balance. The flavors are still coming together. This should be a very nice wine in two or three years. I believe that the Diffonty’s do not get the credit they deserve for the consistently high quality of their wine.

Wow! Robert Page & Patrick Duffy! Berserkers got the stars indeed! [wow.gif]

Thanks for the notes Loren. Any other 2004’s you’ve had recently? Seems the 2005’s aren’t quite ready but the 2004’s are.

[cheers.gif]