TN: A comparison of Saxum Barrel Aged Wine

A COMPARISON OF SAXUM BARREL AGED WINE - My Home (8/19/2012)

On Friday, we decided to compare the two releases Saxum had a few years ago of barrel aged wines. It was an interesting comparison. I am not sure these were any better or worse than the regular release, but these seem to have taken longer to emerge after release.

• 2006 Saxum 32 Month Barrel Age James Berry Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles
    This has improved a lot since release IMO. Purple in color. The nose has black raspberry, bacon fat, black pepper and grilled meats. Very deep with and perhaps not as light on its feet as most Saxum. There is this extracted plum flavor on the palate, that I have not had before along with the black raspberries and minerals notes I expect. Great texture. At over 16abv, there is no taste of alcohol other than perhaps some sweetness. Long finish. (95 pts.)
  • 2005 Saxum 44 Month Barrel Age James Berry Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles
    I liked this better than the 32 month wine. But, I think I liked the regular 05 better as well. This also has improved since release. I think the extended ageing needs time to unwind, more so than they regular release. The nose has similar on this although not as deep. Black raspberries, black pepper and grilled meats. On the palate, this was light on its feet with great fruit. Easy to drink but really interesting and every sip forces you to pay attention. 15.8 ABV, again, no taste of alcohol and no heat. Great wine. (96 pts.)

One note on the alcohol. While there is no heat and we did not taste it, the next morning was quite slow indeed. Be careful out there.
Posted from CellarTracker