TN: 72 Bouchard Clos Vougeot

bought recently so I don’t know provenance but fill was superb. It had a nasty cork that took 2 tries w a Durand but I amazingly got it out without any in the wine. Dark color on the wine, browning at edge, little sediment. Very disappointing for two hours, not a lot of fruit or bouquet but completely transformed after that into a gorgeous red-fruited sweet wine with spice nuances and super length. Went from meh to wow.

6 Likes

I had a very similar experience with a 72 Jadot Clos Vougeot. Thought the bottle might be bad but it roller coasted a bit and peaked around the 2-3 hour mark with great spices and a acidity.

When I open an old wine like that I usually decant and pour fairly quickly as many wines like that have some attraction early but then crash quickly as oxidation sets in.

Don’t know if I’d have the confidence to decant and set aside for an hour or two , but I do always keep the decanters with wine that shows poory when freshly decanted, so I can check up on it to see if it has done the Lazarus thing as yours did, and I am sometimes pleasantly surprised. Other times they just stay dead and dumb.

I have partaken of quite old wines (c. a century old) and have found that some are just bad but some show some interest but the quickly fade, particularly Bordeaux from the WW1 era.

The cork on this bottle! Amazing that you’ve been able to get it all out.

^this here^

1 Like

Nice, Alan.
I have a couple of 76 Baby Jesus wines slated for next fall. Based on your bottle, and Jeremy’s old Bouchard last week, I may need to allow time for air.

Man, how the heck did you get that cork out without getting any in the wine? I had that happen to an anniversary year Zilliken Auslese from auction a few days ago and just gave up, decanted through a gold coffee filter.

Durand Durand

Glad it breathed up for you Alan.

1 Like

all but a tiny disc shredded w first Durand pass. I was able to get the worm in the remainder and slowly work the AhSo in and wiggle the rest out. Lots of luck. Cork was mush.

1 Like