TN: 2022 Stein - "Palmberg" Riesling Kabinett trocken Alte Reben (Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer)

Day 2 was excellent enough for rebuying. Immediately upon pop-n-pour on Day 1, however, this had me losing my freaking mind! This is only the third Stein I’ve had, but I am quickly becoming a huge fan.

2022 Stein Palmberg Riesling Kabinett trocken Alte Reben - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (3/7/2024)
– popped and poured on Day 1 –
– tasted non-blind over about 1 hr. on Day 1; revisited on Day 2 –

NOSE: very light Nose, on both Day 1 and 2; ginger, gooseberry, lemongrass, and sweet tarts.

BODY: very pale green-yellow color; light to medium-light bodied.

TASTE: holeee — yowza!! Right out the gates with electric incredible! Gooseberry and white grapefruit galore! Gooseberry skin and light Granny Smith apple sourness/tannin presence; high acidity; plenty concentration of flavor, yet only 11% abv; alc. not noticeable; this does drink on the sweet end of trocken; high-quality 1er quality — around Burklin-Wolf P.C.s’s level; moreish, to put it lightly — more accurately, addictive. Ridiculously awesome to drink, even if – objectively – it doesn’t hit the highest of heights — but here on Day 1, I’m forcing myself to not drink the entire bottle by myself, and am saving some for Day 2. Day 1 hedonistic gut impression score: 94 - 97. Day 2: back on Earth now: not as vivacious as Day 1, and I honestly don’t know if it’s the wine, me, or both that have shifted somewhat over the past 24 hrs. Moving down to a hedonistic gut impression score of 92 - 95, with a more thoughtful score of 92, below. Most definitely will be buying again, with a strong chance of being an annual buy from here on out.

50, 5, 11, 18, 8 = (92 pts.)

5 Likes

Big fan of Stein, great note and thanks found a bunch of these at WHWC.

A “yowza” from you is big news. And a 2022. Awesome note, my friend.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s where I purchased, too; sadly, all gone.

But, as my luck would have it, I managed to snag the last two showing up on WS free today, as I coincidentally happened to be in the spot in the country where they’re located. Also got a Stein Spat. trocken and my first three Ludes —- got some tasty tasting in store for the next few days. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Thanks, Mike! Hope you come across some, and I’d happily open one if you roll through L.A. and hit me up. Cheers! :blush:

this is a kickass bottle of wine.

Enjoying one right now.:nerd_face:

1 Like

It’s Stein Time!

2 Likes

Helllll yeaauh!!

Popped one last night too good not to kill the bottle :slight_smile:

1 Like

One of the absolute great, forgotten, lesser known vineyards of the Mosel. If Ulli was more outward from the ‘80s onward, Palmberg might have a different place in the market, and the village, sankt aldegund, relevance and financial prosperity.

Once you start drinking palmberg- the vineyard identity is undeniable and so very special. Enjoy the Spätlese trockens, it is one of my favourite wines vintage after vintage. Not to mention, a great value.

3 Likes

And one of the few vineyards in the world that has a song named after it!

Riiiiiight! It keeps you coming back for more! Glad you enjoyed it so much, Scott. :cheers:

Palmberg is also a big favorite backstage at Hip Hop shows!

3 Likes

Ha! Love it! Smart men. :point_up_2:

Thanks Brian—I took a look recently in a couple stores in Buffalo, no luck, but will try NYC and Chicago in coming months.

Would love to catch up again when I’m next out there—probably next winter.

That would be wonderful, Mike. Good luck with your search. :blush:

Found two more bottles on the other side of the country while I just happened to be there!

2022 Stein Palmberg Riesling Kabinett trocken Alte Reben - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (4/5/2024)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over a couple hours –

NOSE: light, lemony-orange gueuze.

BODY: medium-light green-yellow color; light to medium-light bodied.

TASTE: tingly; white grapefruit, gooseberry, and green grapes; ample back-end mineral; high acidity; 11% alc. hidden. Still awesome.

3 Likes

Thanks for the notes! I will have to see if I can get a hold of a bottle or two.

1 Like