TN: 2022 Keller „Kirchspiel“ GG Riesling

Uups! What a sin to open this GG such early. :smiling_face: But I am innocent, this bottle bumped into me. KARMA :pray::cowboy_hat_face:

2022 Keller „Westhofener Kirchspiel“ GG Riesling

This bottle confirmed my impressions from the barrel-tasting in March 2023, as I admired the purity, vibrancy, finesse and elegance. Regarding the flavours, it`s all about herbs, blossoms, lemon&grapefruite and of course limestone. AND a truely electrifying acidity.

95/100

And here the impressions by the experts………

MoselFineWines/David Rayer: The 2022 Kirchspiel, as it is referred to on the front label, is a bone-dry wine made from vines planted in 1964 in the upper part of the vineyard. The nose is superbly complex, smoky, and herbal, with a fine fruity touch of yellow peach, grapefruit, and pear, all framed by a heady, refined hint of menthol. The wine is very fine and almost light on the palate initially, but clearly gains in density and presence. A hint of fruit and creaminess gives way to a taut, vibrant, and superbly minty finish. The after-taste is very long, finely acidic, and salivating. This splendid dry Riesling is all about finesse and elegance.“ 94/100 - 2030-2047

Galloni/Anne Krebiehl: The 2022 Riesling Westhofener Kirchspiel Grosses Gewächs was harvested from vines planted in 1964. The nose is a cool, pure breeze of lemon balm and freshly cut, ripe lemon. The body is taut and tender, shimmering with ripe Mirabelle on the fluid, compact mid-palate. A fine phenolic web holds this together as the concentration seems to seep lemon-juice-like into the depth of cool limestone. This is driven and zesty, bone dry. The finish holds a shimmer of lemon and limestone with a frisson of seductive, riper stone fruit, very fine and elegant. (Bone-dry) 96/100

Jancis Robinson/Julia Harding: On the nose, the classic blossom notes as well as the stony minerality that I associate with Kirchspiel’s limestone soils. Lime and peach fruit add both richness and freshness to the mid palate. This has a corset of acidity that holds the fruit in a tight framework but more power than in some years. A little bit of spice. Immense concentration without loss of its unique fragrance and lightness of foot. Really long. Mouth-watering finish. A wonderful pairing of elegant scentedness with persistence and intensity. 18/20

soil Kopie
limestone soil of KIRCHSPIEL

2 Likes

Great to here! I’ve got a sixer on the way and was a bit worried about the 22 vintage.

1 Like

@Andrew_K

I understand, as I skipped 2022 GGs due to the lack of freshness and inner tension.

But nothing to worry regarding Kirchspiel or Keller 2022 in general.

1 Like

I was going to say…but I forgive you too, Martin :smiley: Great note, thanks.

1 Like