TN: 2022 Château Ducru-Beaucaillou Haut-Médoc Madame de Beaucaillou

2022 Château Ducru-Beaucaillou Haut-Médoc Madame de Beaucaillou - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc (10/8/2026)
Ok...stupid good for $19! On this first nose, I almost jumped in my car and headed back to Costco to buy them out of this! It is everything I want in an inexpensive, grab-n-go, yet still Bordeaux proper wine...wonderful pureness of silky fruit...dark berries, red currants, cherries jubilee...ripe, but not too ripe...has that great graphite dryness that I love. Very polished and silky smooth tannins, yet still firm structure...drink it now, or cellar for 10yrs or so...amazing complexities you're stealing for $19 here...wintergreen tobacco leaf, mocha, crushed flower florals, white pepper/cedar spice...all tied up in a pretty package...I think an hour decant would be even better...and would love to see this is 5yrs. Fantastic! An absolute no brainer buy at that price. 66% Merlot, 23% CS, 1% PV. (93 points)

Posted from CellarTracker

12 Likes

Very cool, I’ll grab a few!!

Their second wine, La Croix, is (was?) also a screaming bargain.

There is so much really good, cheap wine out there it shocks me that restaurants can still have such crappy and expensive lists.

4 Likes

Though I don’t envy anyone trying to move a couple cases of young vintage Bordeaux second wine, priced well or not. Just not what is on most casual drinkers’ minds these days.

The subject was brought to mind by this thread, but the list of solutions goes far beyond bdx. But I do think that bdx offers a disproportionate number of options that are overlooked because it is seen as stodgy, and that is a big mistake.

4 Likes

My only concern with this bottle was when I got to the end on the bottle, there was a good amount of sed for such a young wine…and my mouth, teeth, and tongue were black purple!! Tongue stayed purple till next day. Don’t tell me they use Mega Purple?

I am wondering about these Haut Medoc wines from classified growths. Do the grapes come from inside the property or from vineyards in other less favoured areas?

One thing I have noticed is the high percentage of Merlot in the blends. Is this a reason for the Haut Medoc designation?