TN: 2021 Jean Foillard Morgon Côte du Py (France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon)

Yeah baby!! I’ve struggled with Beaujolais lately but this 2021 is exactly as advertised. Everything is in place, nothing is missing, nothing extra in there, just pure deliciousness. Time to back up the truck!

• 2021 Jean Foillard Morgon Côte du Py - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (16.5.2023)
    The nose is rather comforting and familiar. There is primary, ripe-ish raspberry fruit along with some VA, wet rock and a tart hint of cranberry. It is somewhat reductive but not overly so. On the palate it is fruity, juicy and low in weight with very uplifting acidity. It doesn’t necessarily taste like a proper cool vintage wine from the yester year as it definitely has some density but it is positively crunchy with no Grenache-ness to it. In fact there is a wonderful minerally sensation towards the finish that I find immensely pleasing and it is also savory while very clean at the same time (meaning the VA does not play a big role). The mouth-puckering finish is just great, setting one up to take the next sip very quickly. There is nothing I don’t like about this, I would love to own a case or three.

Posted from CellarTracker

19 Likes

Thanks. Sounds great. Ordered some of these including a Magnum and some Corcelette. Price up around 15% on 2020 wine,

1 Like

This is exactly what I wanted to hear :wine_glass:. I have some '19 that I haven’t tried yet, any experience with that vintage?

1 Like

Sweet, haven’t had Corcelette in a while but I’m a fan of the bottling for sure. I was just thinking of getting the Fleurie to try when I more of this vintage, haven’t tried it before. The EU pricing continues to be extremely fair for these wines.

1 Like

I only tried Foillard’s regular 2019 Morgon and didn’t love it, found it to lack freshness/zip.

1 Like

gotta grab this, drank the '20 last thanksgiving and it was so good!

1 Like

I’ll may have to lower my expectations….

Not necessarily, at least the CT notes are promising for the 2019 CdP.

1 Like

Trying not to buy too much wine at the moment, but a few 21’s has sneaked into my collection :grin:. Sounds like a great vintage.

3 Likes

One of my all-time favorites. Actually quite enjoyed the '20 at 14% alc. even though it was riper – still very elegant.

But the '21 is classic, and this bottling from Foillard is tough to beat in a vintage like this. Bought 12x magnums of the '21 (all Envoyer could source) and half a case of 750s to serve at my wedding in September.

3 Likes

I’ve had a few '19 Corcelettes recently and it is drinking beautifully right now. I would not hesitate to open a bottle.

Nice wedding wine. Guests will love it!

1 Like

I bought 3 bottles on release and one of them has a sticker that says “Open in 2023” :wink:
I think that Foillard’s Cote du Py classic vintages like '11 and '14 show exceptionally well at age 4-5 and apparently '19 is one of those.

1 Like

Was in my local liquor store here in Boston the other day and stumbled on the 2018 vintage of this wine. Remembering I had seen this thread, I decided to give it a try. It was very nice, and I think I’d like it even more in a slightly less ripe vintage. I was surprised to see some notes on CT referencing mousiness in other vintages of this bottling–I associate that more with those orange wines rather than obviously well-made Beaujolais.

My note on the 2018:

• 2018 Jean Foillard Morgon Côte du Py - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (5/19/2023)
    This was a really pleasant introduction to Foillard's wines for me. Right on opening I was hit with raspberry liqueur, cherries, and just a little sweet earthy funk that in French I'd call "une touche animale." Some flowers and spices came out more with ~90 minutes of air. The red-fruited palate was plush and generous, which I assume is the 2018 vintage making itself felt. The back end of the palate was distinctly chalky, the fine tannins eventually suggesting this wine has more to give with some cellar time.

All in all, this bottle straddled "lush" and "fresh" rather well. The nose especially reminded me more of Burgundy than other Beaujolais wines I've had.

Thanks for the inspiration, @IlkkaL !

1 Like

It wasn’t my intention to inspire anyone to buy 2018 Beaujolais but I’m glad it worked out for you :sweat_smile:

You can get mousiness in all types of wine.

3 Likes

If anyone did OK in 2018 it was Foillard.

i have never had a bottle of foillard affected by mouse taint. a few bretty bottles that were probably sitting in the sun too long, but no mouse! far more stable wines than metras…

for those that have had the 21, how does it compare to the 16?

• 2016 Jean Foillard Morgon Côte du Py - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (12.5.2021)
    Pretty classic and expressive on the nose. Ripe yet tangy cherry-driven fruit dominates but more importantly it is markedly earthy with a hint of barnyard. The palate is where it gets interesting, in both good and bad. At first clumsy and disjointed, after half an hour very balanced and tasty, and then 1.5 hours later it is getting close to a point where some might find it borderline faulty (ethyl acetate). That aside it is richer than expected but not overtly so. It sports a very good structure with slight tannic grip and lifting acidity. A lot of good qualities to be found, but without a doubt it peaked quickly and then started to go downhill.

Posted from CellarTracker