TN: 2021 Falkenstein - Niedermenniger Herrenberg Riesling Kabinett trocken (Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer)

2021 Hofgut Falkenstein Niedermenniger Herrenberg Riesling Kabinett trocken - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (1/1/2023)
– popped and poured on Day 1 –
– tasted non-blind over 12 days –

NOSE: sweet tarts; gooseberry; lime

BODY: light pale yellow color; light bodied.

TASTE: bit watery and light on Day 1, but it filled-in on subsequent days; high acid; very limey; still drinking nicely at Day 12; once it filled-in, it was surprisingly fruity, yet with plenty of mineral and lots of acidity. Excellent, but strong HOLD recommendation on this.

4 Likes

A Falkenstein Riesling without a specific parcel stated??

2 Likes

It was the Mutter Anna.

3 Likes

The Webers actually only specify parcel nicknames when there is more than one wine from the same site. There have been some exceptions in the past. And some wines (i.e., parcels) have already been specified by using a particular place-name, such as Ober Schäfershaus or Im Kleinschock, instead.

3 Likes

I see, thanks!

1 Like

For example, Krettnacher Altenberg Spätlese trocken comes from the same parcel of old vines in the place-name Enkers Weinberg. Erich Weber, however, just chalks “Altenberg” on the cask. (This parcel actually has no nickname and was one of the original vineyards from his mother.) In contrast, a parcel of old vines nicknamed Lorenz Manni and underpinned by more diabase on the same slope is labeled Ober Schäfershaus, where the Webers have three contiguous parcels in this prime location.

3 Likes

To confuse matters further, those three adjoining parcels in Ober Schäfershaus, which is a section of Altenberg, are nicknamed Lorenz Herbert, Lorenz Manni, and Lorenz Marie. The first two were planted at the same time as one vineyard and were later split into two vineyards. The Webers acquired Lorenz Herbert a few years later than Lorenz Manni. But the age of the vines is the same. They planted Lorenz Marie several years ago; the vines are still young.

I should add that Auf dem Hölzchen, where the Webers also acquired a parcel of old vines, is the place-name just up the slope from Ober Schäfershaus.

1 Like

@Lars_Carlberg The Falkenstein vineyards are crying out for a well labeled set of maps.

By the way, how are the '23s coming along?

1 Like

Ha! We bottled four 2023s this morning—Serriger, Munny, Altenberg, and Weissburgunder. About 80 percent of the vintage has been bottled. Tonight, I’m drinking a bottle of 2023 Ternes. I’ve recently had bottles of several other 2023 Kabinetts, including Kugel Peter, Gisela, and Mia. All the wines are very fine.

5 Likes

You lucky devil. How would you compare '23 to recent vintages by what’s in the bottle?

1 Like

One of the perks of my job is tasting the wines before release. At Hofgut Falkenstein, I would compare 2023 to 2021, but I find the 2023s more airy.

2 Likes

If you don’t mind me asking, how is the quantity looking for the '23s?

Better than in '21 or '22? I’m hoping it isn’t another short vintage.

2 Likes

Fortunately for us, the cellar is full of wine. We, however, didn’t produce any red wine this vintage.

3 Likes

A 12 day tasting! That’s impressive.

1 Like

After a long day of vineyard work, I uncorked a bottle of 2023 Niedermenniger Sonnenberg Kabinett trocken, nicknamed Munny. It’s a featherlight, steely, bone-dry Saar wine.

4 Likes