TN: 2021 Château Thivin Côte de Brouilly Cuvée Godefroy

I saw a vintage chart somewhere online where 2021 was rated as the worst Beaujolais vintage in a loooong time. I guess that means I have the palate of a yak as to me it seems like this is the best vintage since 2016. The freshness is throught the roof yet there is stuffing here too, the missus asked for two extra pours! This one clocks in at 13% and the balance is impeccable. Thivin rules.

• 2021 Château Thivin Côte de Brouilly Cuvée Godefroy - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Côte de Brouilly (17.4.2024)
    Really bright and floral on the nose, brimming with crunchy fruits of dark cherries and tart raspberries, stem-like hints and minerally tones. On the palate it is light in weight, savory and massively fresh. Very lifted with kind tannic bite, it is exactly as drinkable I expect a 2021 to be from this address. The fruit ripeness might be on a tad lower side for those accustomed to the recent hot vintages but for me it’s just right. Despite the crunchiness there is also some spicy warmth to it - probably due to the volcanic terroir - that I find very intriguing and delicious. While very gulpable this also has character and depth. Overall, a terrific bottle of Gamay.

Posted from CellarTracker

5 Likes

I have had a bottle of 2021 Thivin (different cuvee), and really liked it as well, though it was distinctive.

• 2021 Château Thivin Côte de Brouilly Cuvée Zaccharie - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Côte de Brouilly (3/26/2024)
    What an interesting bottle of Beaujolais. If I was served it blind I might have guessed Loire Cabernet Franc, as it had a distinct green tobacco leaf note that bordered on bell pepper. There was still abundant red berry fruit, fresh acidity, and a smidge of finishing tannin, but that tobacco stayed present over the three hours I followed the wine. It might be off putting to some, but I really enjoyed it, and I think I know a few other who would as well.
2 Likes

Love love the old vines - 80-100 years - in this Cuvee.

Excellent note!

1 Like

Many of you all are “yakkier” than me, but I have really enjoyed every 2021 Beaujolais I’ve had so far. I have precisely 1 bottle of this in my cellar. How much time do these Godefroys need?

Vintage charts and many critics love the new-norm of super hot vintage Beaujolais. I, on the other hand, very much do not. I preferred '17 to '16 though, personally. Thivin’s '17s were excellent.

1 Like

Interesting. What publication was it? I haven’t tasted extensively (mostly Thivin, Roilette, Dubois, and Desvignes) but 2021 has been one of my favorite Beaujolais vintages so far. I seem to recall WK mentioning high variability among the various producers he had tasted, so perhaps that consideration would come into play when rating the vintage as a whole.

1 Like

More importantly, why even bother with vintage charts?

That, too.

Agreed. 2014 is my fave of recent vintages, though digging 2021 so far.

1 Like

Ripe years are easy, and critics like them. But for me, they rarely produce the most interesting wines.

2 Likes

Interesting, I’ve been hoarding my 16s because they were so good young, and so tempted to drink. I like 17 as well, but give me 16!

At least on release. People pushed aside 2005 and 2009, but they aged very well.

1 Like

Totally agree on ‘14.

1 Like

Cool, bought this one too but haven’t had a rush to open.

Perhaps this is not directed at me per se or maybe it is but indeed I wasn’t looking for one, Facebook just decided to throw it in my face and I am glad they did as I was entertained.

That old, huh? I wonder how Thivin can manage to keep the price so low as the yields cannot be great. 2021 Chapelle was good but this one is even better.

Took us maybe an hour to empty the bottle, if that’s what you are asking. YMMV!

1 Like

It wasn’t any one publication, I believe it had the averages of something like 50-60 different publications?

1 Like

Yes, the oldest vines in the Thivin stable. By comparison, Zaccharie and La Chappelle are 50-60 years.

1 Like

An hour sounds about right! :rofl: Sorry, Ilkka, I was in a rush when I wrote that but still interested to see that someone had posted a note on a bottle I have but don’t know much about. I was wondering if the Godefroy is a cuvée that typically needs a lot of age or if it’s one of those Beaujolais that’s enjoyable at any stage of its life.
–Justin