TN: 2020 Weingut Günther Steinmetz Wintricher Ohligsberg Riesling "GW"

2020 Weingut Günther Steinmetz Wintricher Ohligsberg Riesling "GW" - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (2/8/2023)
I don't normally look at other CellarTracker notes before writing my own, but I happened to glance at the two on this wine, and I wondered if we were drinking the same wine. There was nothing understated about this wine, on the nose or the palate. When I first opened it, and through the two days I drank it there was a vibrant orange spritz aroma along with some more tropical elements - pineapple and ripe lime. Veering to the sweeter end of the trocken scale, what really impressed me was the palate presence/body of the wine. It felt a lot like the more full bodied Rieslings of the Wachau. Impressive wine that hit the right buttons for me as a long time fan of the Ohligsberg.

5 Likes

related… opened a 14 steinmetz this week, Brauneberger Juffer, and very glad that I did read the notes, where a few folks (though not all) mentioned it starting off in a weird place then evolving nicely over several days.

sure enough, night 1 was unpleasant, clearly not right, but night 2 righted the ship (I’ll let you know how night 3 goes in a few hours!).

1 Like

2014 is a strange vintage for any number of German wines. Glad I don’t have many (at least not many for me).

2 Likes

Night 3, closer to night 2, but with a bit of the night 1 funkiness creeping back in. (Night 2 was pretty glorious, so it has that going for it!)

1 Like

2020 Weingut Günther Steinmetz Wintricher Ohligsberg Riesling “GW” - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (3/27/2023)
– popped and poured on Day 1; revisited on Day 3 –
– tasted non-blind over a couple hours on Day 1 –
– AP #: … 34 21 –

NOSE: very light upon opening; no petrol; initially pretty tight, but it had opened & broadened to moderately expressive at the 1.5 hr. mark. DAY 3: still reserved — moderately expressive.

BODY: medium-light green-yellow color; medium-light to medium bodied.

TASTE: very fruity — not bone dry; fuzzy, gentle, metallic mineral on the mid and rear palates; a touch creamy; medium+ acidity; lychee; there seems to be a touch of sugar here; deeply-embedded hint of petrol; 12% alc. is hidden; powdery oakmoss. For drinking by itself, I’d prefer something drier, but – as is – this certainly has a spot at the table: it worked nicely with a salt/herb-rubbed pork chop & risotto; this is probably as sweet as I’d ever want without getting into the pradikats. Apricot donut ring gummy candy on the finish in the background; surprisingly moreish. DAY 3: still with that fuzzy metallic mineral thing; creamy; not a flavor profile that I truly prefer, but – nonetheless – gut impression score: low 90’s.

1 Like

Understanding your palate a little better from the Kabinett thread, I can see where this wine might not be up your alley. For me it’s pretty much exactly the style of German Riesling I prefer to drink these days. It has some of the richness of the GG style but staying in the Feinherb mold it has some of the playfulness that I adore about pradikat wines.

Tonight’s bottle won’t last long.

You’re picking up what I’m laying down. :wink: Hope your bottle shows well! :cheers:

It’s delicious.