TN: 2020 Pierre Ménard Anjou La Varenne de Chanzé

First time with this producer and safe to say I did not find it boring. If anyone has had this or other bottlings from Ménard I would love to hear your impressions.

• 2020 Pierre Ménard Anjou La Varenne de Chanzé - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Anjou (23.4.2024)
    An interesting nose here with a hue of wool and apricot but beneath a very prominent bitter blood orange-laden core. Very bright, very singular and very much in a take no prisoners fashion. On the palate it is medium to full bodied with powerful acidic structure but most essentially with the same blood orange profile and quite some warmth. Tension for days, this is by no means the easiest of Chenins to approach but all the more interesting for it. Feels primary and young and even a bit mean at this point but I cannot claim to have any idea how it might develop from here. In a way this is reminiscent of some new wave non-dosé grower Champagne in that it is so distinct and seemingly pushing boundaries. If we consider the contemporary Anjou context this is very different from Boudignon’s super minerally yet altogether balanced and approachable style, this is like biting into a barely ripe blood orange. Not sure yet if I’m a fan but this certainly commands some respect no matter what.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

this one is supposed to be a secret :laughing:
the quart des noels is one of the best dry chenin being made at the moment! the 13s and 14s are still on the young side…

2 Likes

I see :grinning: as Chenins often age slowly I can’t say I’m that surprised re: 13s and 14s given how this one performed. I guess I need to explore further while the prices remain affordable.