TN: 2020 Keller „von der Fels“ - Holy moly!

The 2020 Vom Muscheligen Kalk is also worth checking out for the Keller fans. Really enjoyed that wine

Good buy. I hunted down a few, it was a lot harder to find than the VdF

If anyone can locate a bottle or two of the ‘20 Scheurebe Kabi in the US to buy, and is willing to divulge source, please PM me! I will owe you! As we have discussed before, it’s near impossible unless you have a regular source. Which I don’t.

just found on cellartracker…

9/9/2021 - KEITH LEVENBERG LIKES THIS WINE: 96 Points

“Holy fluckskittles, is this good. Soil-to-glass transfer of a riesling that makes you feel like you’re on your hands and knees licking pure limestone. The cleansing sensation the instant it hits your mouth is equally transfiguring. It’s like a spa treatment for the palate, fancy aromatized salts on a base of pale fruit, crunchy but not so aggressively acidic as the GGs can be.”

Good to know that I am not a wrong-way driver. haha

And Keith is one of the best tasters I know and is stingy with his ratings.

Glad I have 7 cases and 6 mags…

1 Like

You’re just lucky Michael Chang doesn’t like Riesling.

That’s a deep #rieslingstudy.

I thought a first bottle at the Rule of Thirds dinner was fabulous. I had a slight preference for it over the nearly-as-fabulous 2019 beside it. A second bottle of the ‘20 a couple weeks ago was grumpier, more coiled in on itself even with plenty (1-3 days) of air.

The one at Rieslingstudy which was my first taste of 2020 VdF was the reason I doubled down and ordered more. This is effectively GG fruit for $40-50 and if past Von der Fels are any guide it is easily a 20 year wine. Plus it is getting harder and harder to get the other Keller GGs.

I both love and hate this thread. Bought another case of it… [head-bang.gif]

1 Like

Their '16 is what got me in to these wines. Excellent wines. If you own less than 10 cases you will regret it.

With so many other Rieslings available, when would you possibly drink all these?

Well, I read your 20 year comment, but that’s still a lot of bottles!

This would be an ideal house wine. Not overly complex, but so much tension and chalkiness and just so delicious to drink

1 Like

Sure when it used to be $25. At $50 not so much.

A little thread drift….

I continue not to understand the concept of a house wine. (Said in a cheeky but earnest tone, not a Kevin or Boomer tone.) I’m staring at over 2 dozen different bottles of wine on my counter (wife hates that) just to get through on my immediate “try this” or “drink this now” queue. They are on the counter because I’ve filled up my 50-bottle wine fridge with “try this” or “drink this now” bottles. And then there’s the off-site cellar of hundreds more to take their place.

I can’t imagine a house wine. Why? But maybe it’s just me.

4 Likes

To me ‘house wine’ is mostly synonymous with wine one uses to entertain, especially with guests that aren’t big wine geeks.

So it is a wine that one enjoys, has a wider appeal (even to non-wine geeks), is affordable (however one chooses to define that), and one has multiple bottles of to serve guests they are entertaining.

If most of the wine you drink at home either alone or in the company of other who enjoy wine (whether friends or family), then there’s not much use in a ‘house wine.’

1 Like

Hence the “would” neener

There’s probably not a great universal definition of house wine, but I think being able to chug through volumes of the stuff is a prerequisite. Seeing Robert’s post on his VdF purchase, it occurred to me that VdF is one of those wines that you could easily drink that kind of volume without breaking a sweat

1 Like

Alan - I love to open bottles of German Riesling for people in a variety of different situations. I have 10,000+ and growing…and continue pulling corks!

1 Like

Seems 60/40 between moly or not

Rather 70/30

[dance2.gif]

A house wine is the antithesis of “try this.” It’s reliable, exactly what you want, every time. It’s affordable, available, versatile, appealing and plentiful. It’s never a risk or an experiment. You never have to consider whether to open it. It always makes you happy and you can always get more. You can make it an event, or simply background. It’s the wine which, within its category, nothing can beat for all of the above factors. The wine where, when you have something else within the same category instead, you’re a little disappointed.

1 Like