TN: 2020 Jean Foillard Morgon Cote de Py

Great news! I just bought 21 Desvignes and Thivin purely on producer reputation, but I’m very much looking forward to hearing more about the vintage in general.

You did well!

Happy to discuss once the report is out.

Did Beaujolais have the same frost problems as the Cote in 21?

Yes.

Any tips? (seeing that the report is not out yet)
Tomorrow will be shopping day in Morgon. As you said in the other thread; alot of producers have their summerholisay so it will be shop scavenging (trying the Caveau Morgon first)

I did manage to get an appointment at Thivin and that was a great experience with a beautiful 2021 line-up plus some oldies.

nvmnd. Report published 5 minutes later :wink:

2020 Jean Foillard Morgon Côte du Py - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (3/10/2024)
Dark in color, in a 2020 vintage where many other Beaujolais I’ve had have been pretty saturated, sometimes overblown, this feels amazingly classic. A lovely nose, some nice spices, maybe a hint of bubblegum but not to distraction; the palate is controlled, with lively, fresh, crisp dark fruit, the spice is here as well, reminds me a bit of the 2016, and probably my favorite since the 2014 vintage.

Next night: just a little juicier, but so flavorful, well balanced, plain tasty. Still my favorite since the 2016 vintage. (92 points)

4 Likes

It’s really good. Nice review!