TN: 2020 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett Alte Reben "Gisela" #8

4 Likes

Thank you very much for the early preview. I’m really looking forward to 2020 Falkenstein.

Thanks for the note! Excited to try the 2020s!

I hope I can find it before it sells out!

Looking forward to this and the other kabinetts and off-dry wines in the line-up this year particularly. I must have asked 20 retailers to be notified when they are in.

It’s going to be a feeding frenzy

1 Like

Is 2020 better than 2019? The 2019s are great.

I meant it in the sense that Falkenstein is always popular and has increasingly become increasingly more sought after in recent years. But from preliminary reports 2020 sounds pretty promising as well

Different vintage characteristics. But based on what I’ve been hearing the 2020s are a little more lithe and have a touch higher acidity than 2019.

Different vintage characteristics. But based on what I’ve been hearing the 2020s are a little more lithe and have a touch higher acidity than 2019.

don’t know if that is true in general; 2019 usually had high acids.
at least the sweet a.j.adam wines (kab, spat, AL) had slightly above 10g/L in 2019 and have slightly below 9 g/L in 2020 (if retailers data is correct).
2020 was quite hot during summer, so that might have affected the acids.
let’s wait and see !

‘In General’ isn’t always hugely relevant but it can be.

In the case of this wine it had the lowest ever oeschle yet still had a feel of creaminess I didn’t remember in the ‘riper’ 2019.

Just a data point. I have ten 2020 Willi Schaefer just arrived to work through too.

Gisela AP 8 is just wonderful. Same high level as 2019. Maybe even higher
IMG_20210521_170745_637.jpg

2 Likes

Just a data point. I have ten 2020 Willi Schaefer just arrived to work through too.

perfect ! my case of 12 mixed bottles (domprobst kab+sptl, wehlener kab) also just arrived. we’ll see…

Kudos to Erich&son&Lars, another terrific Gisela

After the first glass, the phrase “best ever” came to my mind. Fair to say it seems that I say this every year. :wink:

Anyway, in contrast to previous vintages it seems there is more depth, purity and balance in 2020 Gisela. AND such seductive&charming these 20s in general right from the start. I wouldn’t be surprised if there will be a rain of points in the new MFW newsletter which will be released in the coming days.

1 Like

I’m so sick of the teasers from MFW on Instagram, just wish they’d put up the report already [wink.gif]

1 Like

I was also hopeful that WA’s Germany report would come out today, as it’s come out around this time before, but nope. MFW said it should come out this week, but it’s hard for me to wait.

I know most on this board are too cool for points and pro reviews, but when there’s so much great Riesling out there, and often many cuvees from each producer, I really appreciate getting some insight on which seemed to shine a bit brighter before I buy.

1 Like

Same. For Falkenstein I gravitate towards spatlese feinherb and kabinett, and this year there are 7 or 8 cuvees across that spectrum (not including kabinett or spatlese trocken).

2 Likes

I take a different view re MFW: there’s no need for validation from Jean and David on these wines, particularly Gisela, or the other usual suspects in MSR in 2020. As Gandalf said (sort of), “Buy, you fools!”

5 Likes

touché

1 Like

One of their comments on IG today mentioned it should be out on Monday.