TN: 2020 Dönnhoff Felsenberg Riesling Großes Gewächs (Germany, Nahe)

Focused bouquet of quince, honeydew, and minerals. On the palate the wine is more open-knit than I was expecting for a GG this young, with lemon candy, lemongrass, crushed slate, and saline undertones. Zesty, crisp acidity and dry extract provide a tannic feel on the midpalate. Very enjoyable and refreshing, especially in 100 degree heat. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

2021 Dönnhoff Felsenberg Riesling Großes Gewächs - Germany, Nahe (6/16/2022)
Donnhoff Tasting (St. Paul): Very nice with slate, apricots, pear, chalk, sour apple, white flowers and a nice saltiness on the finish. Complex wine and excellent quality. (93 points)

2021 is outstanding.

How have you tried a 2021 GG already? Those don’t get released until the fall.

Friends of the best distributor in St. Paul. They did a big Riesling Tasting in June and brought in all the big names.

Thanks but you’ll need to step up the Donnhoff notes now that David left.

1 Like

I can’t wax poetic like that.

Hope you both are joking. I’ve just discovered Donnhoff and was looking for a reference for their different vineyards and bottlings. Hoping to find more Wbers with experience with Donnhoff not less.

David left? What happened?

He came to his senses and left. No big blow up just left.
Brian and I aren’t joking about David being the most frequent poster on Donnhoff (and a bunch of other German wine, etc.).

This thread is like a stooges skit.

Here you go whoever you are. CellarTracker! Donnhoff Tasting

1 Like

Who is on first?

Thanks John! Makes me sad about 2021 Hermannshohle GG.

• Did you get a chance to taste the 2020 Hermannshohle Spatlese? Curious how it compares to the 2021 Hermannshohle Spatlese.
  • Same question about the 2020 versus 2021 Roxheimer Hollenpfad tocken. Had the 2020 Rox Hollenpfad recently and it was quite complex.
  • final q, thoughts about aging window for Donnhoff. Have heard that they may be better young and may not have the same long aging potential.

Thank you in advance.

Does Donnhoff age?, indeed that is the question.

Had a 2005 Oberhauser Brucke spätlese a couple years ago which was impressive.

1 Like

Yes it ages.

A while back there were a couple of people who adamantly claimed these wines do not improve with age. Lots of other people with lots of combined experience, including me, do not agree. Frankly, I think it’s a ridiculous assertion. I have total confidence in the few GGs and Spätlesen I have tasting great at well over a decade. A decade has actually seemed like too little time for some vintages of Hermannshöhle GG.

I imagine there have been threads comparing the various bottlings. I don’t have as much experience as some here, and it’s true that David was the real guru (I hope he comes back at some point when contributing here can be good for him), but I have tasted quite a few Dönnhoffs over the years. The 2 Spätlese bottlings I’ve had most are Kirschheck and Brücke. Kirschheck does have a distinctive cherry note (maybe in my head but I know someone who has picked it up blind), and tends toward more flamboyant fruit and a more open, approachable character in its youth. Brücke tends to be much more mineral, with lots of depth but also less yielding when young. I suspect the Brücke will become the better wine in a lot of vintages, but I like them equally when young, and preference will always probably have more to do with style than quality. At least, that’s my somewhat informed take. I’d be interested to know what people think about some of the other bottlings. I have some thought on the GGs, but I’ve had too few of the ones other than Hermmanshöhle to be confident about any comparisons.

1 Like

It all depends on what “improve” means. No long-term experience with the GGs, but I’ve discovered I prefer the spatleses young. The last few spatleses I had (2004, 2005 and 2007, different vineyards), including one last week, ranged from okay to uninteresting. The fruit and acid were subdued - the lack of crystalline acidic “zip” was particularly disappointing, because that is what I think makes Donnhoff so great -, and in general they tasted like flat apricoty sugar water. But “uninteresting” is somewhat a matter of preference; someone else might have found them more “interesting” than they were young.

Fair enough. I would think an '04 would be in good shape at this point. My experience is mainly with the GGs, and for me, they definitely become more interesting. The few aged Spätlese and Auslese bottlings I’ve tried have had good aged character and plenty of energy for me, but maybe you would view them differently. I won’t have more experience with aged sweet bottlings for a few more years. Quite a few positive notes have been posted by people I generally agree with, though.

Friends of the best distributor in St. Paul. They did a big Riesling Tasting in June and brought in all the big names.
[/quote]

hi
what’s the best wine store in the Saint Paul environs, and who does this distributor distribute to?
bestest, Mark