TN: 2020 Domaine Lionnet Cornas Pur Granit (France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas)

• 2020 Domaine Lionnet Cornas Pur Granit - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas (5/13/2024)
    Decanted 3hrs. Starts off with a bit of funk, almost akin to the smell of opening a fresh can of tennis balls which I oddly found appealing. With additional air, the nose unfolded with some layers of sweet white flowers and some savories, looking good. Cleary this infanticide, but I like what I saw under the hood, very much b&b in style, that is briar and brambles, some Provencal herbs such as sage and lavender, and oh yes a lovely core of dark pressed berries. Lovely balance. Pretty dang close to textbook Cornas in my book. Buy this without hesitation to scratch a proper N. Rhone itch. (94 points)

Posted from CellarTracker

5 Likes

Thanks for the note! Sounds like the solar vintage was not too apparent here?

I can honestly say the word ‘solar’ never popped into my mind until I read your post. Let’s take that as a very good sign!

1 Like

Lionnet is one my recent N. Rhône discoveries as well. Really pretty and engaging wines, and well priced for the quality. They now have a Chaillot, I’m very curious about it.

1 Like

Glad this showed so well. I like Lionnet and enjoy the Terre Brulée. I bought some of the 2019 Pur Granit and opened one in October 2023 - my first go-round with the cuvée - and it was massive, maybe a little syrupy. Not a great bottle to be honest. I stashed the rest.