TN - 2020 Bordeaux - 15 wines - Lafite, Mouton, HB, Palmer, the Pichons, Cos, LLC, Leo Barton, Calon Segur + more

Notes from a tasting last night here in Dallas. There were over 20 wines present, but as I had a long night of day job work ahead of me, I kept it to 15 notes taste-and-spit on a whirlwind visit before the event got into full swing. At the time I tasted, the wines had been decanted for about 3 hours prior to being returned to bottle for pouring.

2020 proved a very challenging vintage to taste- the wines are massive in scale, and while the substantial tannins tended to be rounded and well-buried, so too were many of the hallmark nuances of individual wines. And even with only 15 wines tasted, I had to break twice for a quick bit of food and a rest to cleanse the palate before pressing on.

The best news is that this is not another 2003. As in red burgundy, a number of these Bordeaux had a distinct roasted plum character unique to the vintage, but some did not- and I did not encounter any wines that showed the excesses which now plague many 2003s. The scale of the fruit and tannins overall is on the level of 1986 or 2000- but the fruit is maybe halfway down the path to 2003 on average in terms of ripeness, plus the wines did not display some of the obvious heat that was present on many 2003s.

The bad news is that these, I think, are going to take a very long time to come around- again take a 1986/2000 mentality here. Some wines are already closing up, and I anticipate a long hibernation. Beyond that, with so many details and nuances buried deep- it could easily be 20-30 years before the top wines truly unfurl and show all their secondary and tertiary details. Much the same can be said today of some 2000s- notably Latour which was far more approachable than expected, but still very primary. There will be, I believe, some degree of sacrifice of the details due to the sheer volume and power of the fruit with some of these wines- but overall they are well balanced, and in a couple of cases actually very nicely balanced compared to other recent vintages where certain chateaux have been a bit heavy with the oak.

Notes presented in order tasted. Star ratings in brackets as estimates due to the wines’ early stage of development and the speed with which I had to pass through them.

2020 Chateau Haut-Brion

rich deep purple color, sweet plum and cherry on the nose, very fruit driven, minimal herb notes, on the palate a joyous and buttery fruit that immediately reminded me of how the 1995 was at release, as with the nose- the palate is heavily fruit dominated, black plums, cassis, cherries, perfect ripeness, rounded, very good length, I have not been enamored of the oak levels and concentration here in vintages like 2014- but in 2020 the sheer power of the fruit is making for a good overall balance more akin to the past.

[****, 2040+]

2020 Chateau Lafite-Rothschild

bright purple red color, fruit-dominant nose, cassis with hints of pencil lead, violet and boxwood, on the palate the ripe fruit quickly gives way to a closed mid-palate with substantial- but rounded- tannins, cherry notes, a bit of chalk, great length, despite its reluctance today- clearly a very fine vintage for Lafite.

[****+, 2045+]

2020 Chateau Mouton-Rothschild

inky purple color- far darker than both Haut-Brion and Lafite (moreso than usual), on the nose sexy spice notes, plus, cassis, mineral notes prominent on the nearly shut-down palate, strong but rounded tannins, firm oak a noticeable presence- but in proper proportion, the most shut-down of the first growths but also the one showing the greatest number of glimpses at its nuances.

[****, 2040+]

2020 Le Petit de Mouton Rothschild

medium deep purple-red color, very ripe nose- almost roasted, strong oak, on the palate rolling and slightly sweet fruit, indulgent, soft tannins, good finish- nicely fragrant, not as tight as Mouton but still somewhat restrained in the middle.

[***, 2030+]

2020 Chateau Palmer

good deepish purple color, nose of glorious mulberry fruit, very pure and alluring, perfect ripeness, cassis and cascades of violets, chalk and dark chocolate notes, on the palate something of a contrast- fruit forward with buried tannins, notable note of roasted plums, the palate then goes mute on a good finish lacking fanfare, still it is early days- so that is not yet of great concern.

[***+, 2035+, this showed best on the nose, if the rest catches up this will be a top 2020]

2020 Chateau Ducru-Beaucaillou

deepish purple color, racy nose with a bit of liniment, cherry, strong ferrous and earth notes, on the palate a mirror image making for a wonderful and expressive wine, ideal ripeness as well, great length, very fine.

[****+ to *****, 2040+ a long wait, but it will be worth it]

2020 Chateau Leoville Las Cases

medium deep purple color, rolling waves of red and black fruit on the nose, berry and plum nicely overlaid with textures of clay and white minerals, on the palate closed around the edges with a clear view in the center of an attractive array of primary cherry, plum and cassis, despite the excesses of the vintage this manages to remain its usual seamless self, good finish.

[***+, 2030+ if more nuance develops with time, I will have underrated this]

2020 Chateau Pichon-Lalande

medium deep purple color, pure cassis fruit on the nose- slightly roasted, some oak spice, plum note, on the palate a buttery and joyous fruit akin to the Haut-Brion, for the moment this is all fruit on the palate- and showing beautifully, out of all the wines served tonight this is the one I would open now for dinner if I had to choose, good length, lovely wine and the only question is whether its hallmark nuances will fully emerge in time or if this will remain more fruit-driven.

[***+, 2030+]

2020 Chateau Pichon Baron

deepish purple color, cassis, red plums and raspberry on the nose, notable oak, light bramble, on the palate a firm earth note, darker spectrum of fruit, tannins and oak a more overt presence, very good length and also very good balance- of late I have often found this wine over-oaked in recent vintages but the sheer power of 2020 reduces that risk greatly here.

[***+, 2040+]

2020 Chateau Cos d’Estournel

deep purple red color, muted nose showing only dark fruit notes, a bit of plum and pepper, on the palate roasted and overtly sweet, very primary, oak presence stinging and too strong for my tastes, also has something of a heavy feel to it, many at the event liked this very much FWIW- and as with the Pichon Lalande it is easier to approach tonight than most.

[***?, 2040+ as with the 1986 I think this is going to take a very long time to get there]

2020 Chateau Leoville-Barton

inky purple color, lovely nose, ripe cassis, a bit of oak spice, crushed blackberries, on the palate perfectly ripe- just perfect, lively assertive tannins, the mid-palate is sheer joy with racy mineral and berry notes to accompany the pure and effortlessly beautiful cassis and cherry fruit, great length with a light chalk note, this shows the power and punch of the vintage without the potential excesses better than just about every other wine here tonight, superb.

[****+ - *****, 2030+ a long distance runner for sure, but this I think will be turning the corner in 10 years]

2020 Chateau Calon-Segur

very dark purple-red color, textured nose of wild raspberries, cherry, mint and young bramble, on the palate most attractive with beautiful balance and respectable restraint, a mid-weight and the most “classic” wine on the table tonight- like Magdelaine it wears its vintage honorably but with no excess to distract from its base character, cherry fruit on the palate with a light punch note, fine length.

[****, 2035+]

2020 Chateau Canon

bright red purple color, smooth and slippery nose, strong clay earth note, polished- perhaps overly so- but also with perfectly ripe berry fruit with chalk notes, on the palate deep and dense but lacking the excesses of both the vintage and other wines that have turned “modern” of late, firm oak presence, heavy old school tannins that are nicely buried, I rather like this and I am tempted to think that- as with Palmer and Mouton- Canon has found a nice balance of the traditional and new ways of things that will yield something a bit different in time but still true to its roots and of appeal to an AFWEer like me.

[***+, 2040+ it did show nicely today but instinctively I think this one will need a good bit of time]

2020 Chateau Valandraud

black purple red color- probably the deepest color of any wine tonight, burnt fruit on the aggressive nose, fresh coffee grinds, licorice, on the palate impenetrable, inky, showing a little herbal and chalk nuance but in no way is this subtle, FWIW many in the room spoke well of this- so my read on this was far from popular consensus.

[**+?, 2040+ this will need a long time to achieve its ends]

2020 Domaine de Chevalier blanc

bright pale yellow color, fine nose of melon, pear and honeysuckle, young grass, on the palate light and genteel but with very good depth, fine long fragrant finish, young days and showing well- but surely there is a good deal more to come with age.

[****, 2030+]

On a final note- the “put your money where your mouth is” question. 2019 was the last vintage for me buying Bordeaux in any quantity. At age 50, and still reveling in my dwindling stocks of 1985-1990 Bordeaux, it does not make sense to lay down new vintages in numbers. That said, I will absolutely be laying down a few bottles of Leoville-Barton and Calon-Segur. After a few days to ponder and reflect on my notes- there may also be room for a little Canon, Ducru and Pichon Lalande.

15 Likes

Interesting that you are finding a pathway between traditional and modernism. I am less open. For example, Canon lately has not rocked my boat, while I enjoy the older ones.

I am also not as enthusiastic about Figeac, Trotanoy and Haut Brion and La Mission.

3 Likes

Finding is the operative word. I still want to see what happens to some of these wines in 10-15 years. 2014 Palmer and 2015 Mouton are my primary targets for observation. Removed a good bit from the ways of old- and yet showing a good deal of promise. For me, success will be defined by the degree to which nuance and savory elements emerge in time as compared to the past.

Not the path I would wish for either, but I have to find some hope because, sadly, by any measure 2020 Canon is better than 2020 Magdelaine.

1 Like

Great overview and notes. I didn’t get to try most of these at the UGC, but my impressions of the vintage from that event are quite similar with yours. A classic, vin garde vintage with great fruit, powerful tannins and thrilling depth.

My favorite wine at the 2020 UGC was the Leoville Barton. The Domaine de Chevalier rouge was also impressive. Overall I liked the Left Bank

The Right Bank was much more mixed. I was nonplussed by the Figeac — it wasn’t bad but I don’t get the fuss. The Canon was one of the more overripe wines of the night. I did enjoy the Pomerols poured, especially Gazin and the sexy, exotic Le Gay.

4 Likes

Thanks Tom. Like you, I’m essentially not a BDX buyer except for library releases. The primary thought I had reading your notes was 2000. While some have come around, I didn’t end up liking the vintage and sold 75% of my purchases. Still holding hope on a few. And btw, Calon-Segur is always a positive wild card, and can age forever. And I’m listening to early 60’s Art Blakey as I type, which indicates my traditionalist orientation.

2 Likes

My take away from the a tasting some time ago about the Leoville-Barton was the same as yours. Was the only wine I asked if I may have last sip off before closing for the night and no spitting…

The Canon was also really beautiful, perhaps slightly more polished but it tasted of future potential.

3 Likes

Great notes. Thanks, Tom.

I assume 5 stars is the top of your rating system? Or do you give a 5+ ever?

Also does this vintage seem to line up with your general (recent, say 2005 or later) preferences on producers? Definitely sounds like the Barton will be one to seek out, as it often is.

1 Like

Forgot to say this earlier- but Haut-Brion was the biggest surprise of the night. The 2014 was very heavily oaked and more extracted than normal. I have had similar experiences with recent vintages of La Mission. I would like to think Haut-Brion has dialed it back, and maybe they have, but odds are the big fruit of 2020 is just overwhelming what would otherwise be elements neither you or I would care for.

Your comments on 2000 got me thinking, and I am curious your take (and anyone else too) on what I am about to throw out there.

I really got into wine in a big way in 1995. And so I had lots of 1989-1994 wines- including almost all of the first growths- early on, plus a wide array of top 1975 to 1988 wines courtesy of my father who had collected up to about that point and then stopped figuring he had enough wine. From 1995 on, I tasted a few Bordeaux at release in most vintages- but by then the first growths were getting very expensive, so my tasting there got more sporadic.

Fast forward 20 years, and the past several vintages I find it harder to get a good read on a new vintage. There are some variances of course, but nothing like 1992 (which was a really lovely luncheon claret vintage after 10 years- and still is in some cases), 1991 or 1993 where you could readily see where the potential shortcomings were (or as I like to say- strong personality traits that would dictate a more limited, but still viable, array of uses for a given vintage/wine.)

Even in weaker years, the more modern approach adds a certain amount of flash.

But as 1995 and later vintages start maturing- I am finding that when the makeup wears off, the variances become more clear. And in the case of wines that are really overworked- they just get pruny or imbalanced and never develop as they should have.

And now in 2023, while there are certainly some 90s wines I like, and a bit more from the 2000s, I still think the 1980s (plus 1990) remain the Golden Decade of Bordeaux. It is certainly the case for me. I am about to take a sabbatical from wine again for a bit- but when I come back, I face the very real question of whether to replenish my 80s and 1990 stocks- in many cases with magnums, or move on to the very small number of 90s and 00 vintages that I truly love.

We are bombarded with biased and paid-for press every vintage now, and the wines sure are tasty- but in the long run I am not finding 1995 and later Bordeaux are aging any better than their 1975-1994 counterparts.

1 Like

Correct- I use Broadbent’s 5 star system, which does allow for the occasional 6th star.

For me, a sixth star has to be a wine that transcends other top examples of the same or similar wines. Just being mature and from a great vintage and it being a magical night are not enough- the wine has to just exist on another plane. It is hard to put into words- but you know it when you see it.

Off the top of my head, I think I have given that out 5 times- twice outright and 3 times contingent on long term evolution.

The outright 6 stars went to 1937 Maison Elvina (one of the first burgundy producers purchased by what would eventually become Maison Leroy) Chambertin Clos de Beze and 2007 Donnhoff Oberhauser Brucke Riesling Auslese GK Auction (possibly the greatest wine they have ever made IMHO.)

The tentatives were for 2001 Yquem, 2008 Dom Perignon and 2010 von Schubert Maximin Grunhauser TBA. The 01 Yquem fell off the list in several tastings starting 2 years after release- but the really great wines sometimes go through unusually awkward phases, so it could again regain that prize in time.

As for the 2020 vintage lining up with my general producer preferences- it is hard to say, frankly. And now, several days removed from the tasting experience, I am thinking I may just get some Leoville-Barton and Calon-Segur and call it a day. It is not my kind of vintage- it is certainly going to be a great year at many addresses and be very long lived, but the wines are too big and ripe for me. I feel the same about 1982 FWIW. I admire the vintage tremendously, but I am far more inclined to 1986 when it comes to 80s power vintages.

1 Like

Thanks so much, this follow up was quite clarifying. A few more if you don’t mind, but I’ll also look up his system.

Is there something in between a 5 star and 6 star? Or only a contingent 6 star? If so how many times would you recon that you gave that out?

Thus far, I’m using the “100” point system similar to how you are using this system. Currently I have yet to truly give out a 99 pointer and only a handful of 98+, although I may give a full 99 to the 1989 La Mission I had recently. Saving the 99+ and 100 for truly earth shattering experiences, when fully matured. I do believe the 1989 La Mission will probably reach that level. It’s basically a perfect Bordeaux, just without quite enough aged characteristics to move me to that. So in Broadbent’s system this would be a 6star contingent or a 5+ if that exists.

So far I haven’t touched or tasted 2020 as I rarely buy a lot on release, although I loaded up on 2019 mostly due to trusted palate suggestion vs price. What were your thoughts on 2019?

Interesting that you compare 2020 to 1986. I’ve certainly had some very good wines from 1986 but nothing that I would say truly moved me because they’re often so monolithic. I personally love 1985, 1989 and 1990 better, depending on the producers. What would you compare those vintages to? Personally, I’m thinking that 2014 might be similar to 1985 (or 1983). I feel that 2016 might be something in between or a combination of 89/90. FWIW, I never got to try these wines on the younger side. Most have been within the last 3-5 years.

The 6 star scale is interesting. Is there a possibility of a 6+ or even a 7 star wine. I’m not saying this in jest. I think an open ended scale could always leave the ability to score an even greater wine.

Good afternoon,

To tackle both queries at once if I may- there is nothing between 5 and 6 stars and no possibility for a 6+ or a 7. It really is a designation for those once in a lifetime situations where something truly transcends the existing standard for a given wine. And of course it also means the wine itself has to be special as a general rule- I cannot foresee ever giving 6 stars to a vintage of a $10 Chardonnay under any circumstances. (For anyone who has never heard of a $10 Chardonnay- you can be forgiven because I am talking like it was 25 years ago when I was in college working in wine retail where such things still existed.)

I have still not gotten a few thousand notes out of binders and into CT, but off the top of my head I have given 6 stars in the following situations,

1937 Maison Elvina Chambertin Clos de Beze
2007 Donnhoff Oberhauser Brucke Riesling Auslese GK Auction
2001 Chateau d’Yquem (at release- withdrawn a couple of years later and pending reinstatement if it sorts itself out of some of the awkwardness it has demonstrated since.)

And then I have indicated twice that I think a wine will likely hit 6 stars at a certain future point of its evolution, but it is not yet a rating to which I have committed. There are 2 of those in my world,

2008 Dom Perignon
2010 von Schubert Maximin Grunhauser Abtsberg Riesling Trockenbeerenauslese

And so basically I have done this 5 times in what, if I ever get them fully organized, will probably end up being around 4,000 formal tasting notes- to say nothing of the many more in my head from quick trade tastings.

What I find interesting looking back is that out of 5 six star ratings, I have given 4 to young white wines and 1 to a very old red. I have no explanation to offer there.

1 Like

Tom. Thanks for your well thought answer. For the first time I am questioning my use of the 100 point scale. My highest score I have ever given on CT is a 97. I am sure in 4 decades of note making I have had 100 point wines but have never scored above 97, leaving me room to go higher.

On the flip side, I only rarely go below 80 points and when I do it’s because of something monumentally awful like Mieomi Pinot Noir drank in near 100 f heat.

1 Like