TN: 2019 Von Schubert Maximin Grünhäuser Herrenberg Riesling Kabinett

Had the Herrenberg Kabinett 2019 tonight. Boy was this wine good. Just lasted forever on the palate. I have not been drinking that many 2019 German wines yet, but this was the best one I have tasted.

2 Likes

Thanks, Howard! Glad you enjoyed. Good to know I wasn’t imagining the quality here. Terrific wine. [cheers.gif]

1 Like

The only thing left to the imagination with this wine is how good it will taste in 10-20 years.

I hope I can wait 20 years on a few- and I hope I’m still around to find out!

1 Like

Me too, although since I am currently 65, who knows.

1 Like

And Bruderberg is suposed to be the Best Kabi in 2019 champagne.gif champagne.gif

If only it can be found in the U.S.

I have this queued up for tomorrow night - any suggestions on decanting? I was thinking maybe 6 hrs give or take.

I gave it less than 5 minutes.

That long, huh?

We were having a socially distant happy hour in the cul-de-sac down the street and it took me that long to get out of the house, pick up a folding chair and walk over there.

1 Like

I actually had an interesting experience with this wine. I gave some to a neighbor who seems to like German wines a lot but never seems to drink them unless I give him a taste of one. He marveled at how, in his words (pretty close), the flavors of the wine kept going on and on “forever.” I told him that this is a trait of all great wines. He seemed amazed by this - never knew this before. Interesting.

1 Like

Probably says more about the types of wines he drinks than the kabinett.

1 Like

2019 Von Schubert Maximin Grünhäuser Herrenberg Riesling Kabinett (Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer)

Decanted 7hrs. Look, I’ll make this easy. This was superb in every facet, green apples with crystalline clarity, crackling acidity, serious yet cheery, every box is checked here. Had this playing ‘Exploding Kittens’ with the family listening to David Gilmour’s ‘Live at Pompeii’ – for a few hours, not a care in the word.

Below is my handywork - homemade corn fritters topped with dungeness crab in creme fraiche and chives - really a good paring.
IMG_1697.jpg

2 Likes

Nice job, Dale! Thanks for the additional data point and those corn fritters sounds great!

Can I get your recipe?

Ubetcha Brian. It was from Epicurious and the wine really paired well off the richness and sweetness of the topping. It says 6oz of crab. Bull, needs at least 3/4 lb or a little more. I have also worked the crab directly into the veggie corn mixture (dropping off the creme fraiche topping all together) so making a crab corncake fritter deal. Can’t go wrong! Also, don’t worry it doesn’t seem to have structural integrity when you form the fritters, once it hits the hot skillet it will solidify real quick. You can make ahead and chill them too to help them form out correctly.

By whom?

The lead reviewer for the vaunted publication known as FOMO. :wink:

I drank all three Kabis while watching the auction in September with my wife this year.

No proper notes but:

• 2019 Von Schubert Maximin Grünhäuser Abtsberg Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (18/09/2020)
    Enjoyed during the 2020 VDP auction on YouTube. This is less exhuberant than the Bruderberg, mint, fresh chopped herbs, energetic and seems more settled. It’s towards the higher end of RS for 2019 Kabi though and will benefit from time to settle.
  • 2019 Von Schubert Maximin Grünhäuser Abtsberg Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (18/09/2020)
    Enjoyed during the 2020 VDP auction via YouTube. This is more supple, peachier and smoother than the Kabi, but not ‘a lot’ sweeter. Creamier, very much like older Auslesen from here, with some tea notes and a serious prickle of acidity on the finish. More than most 2019s these require age to soften.
  • 2019 Von Schubert Maximin Grünhäuser Bruderberg Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (18/09/2020)
    Enjoyed during the 2020 VDP auction on YouTube. This is sherberty, towards Spatlese sweetness, and a creamy rounded ‘cashew butter’ note. A lovely gently spikey acidity. I don’t try this often but glad I got the chance.
  • 2019 Von Schubert Maximin Grünhäuser Herrenberg Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (18/09/2020)
    Enjoyed during the 2020 VDP auction on YouTube.
    Showing similarly to the Bruderberg and Abtsberg now, this is somewhat in between, quite flashy now, needs time to settle but raw potential, more red fruited than Abtsberg and less herbal. Crisp Granny Smith apples too, Spatlese styles.
  • 2019 Von Schubert Maximin Grünhauser Riesling Alte Reben - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (18/09/2020)
    Enjoyed watching the 2020 VDP auction on YouTube. A really pithy lemon nose, densely herbal though. Medium weight but intense with the same pithy note on the finish. Lovely entry Trocken.
2 Likes