TN: 2019 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard

• 2019 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (5/28/2021)
    Jump into this like a barrel sample…youthful crunch, tart pucker, little heat…air brings it all into some harmony…bright and perky wild red berry fruits…raspberry, cherry, red plum…little more heat and edge than the 18 had 5 mos ago…yet still classic RM exotic seduction and intoxicating sandalwood spices. Vein of sour blood orange citrus makes it SO refreshing…creams up nicely with a little oak barrel vanilla cola…pretty dried roses and potpourri florals…that heat bite detracts a little…can’t call it seamlessness like the 18…but I think it will silk out with some age. Sure bet this will be amazing in 5-10…but SO damn hard not to drink them in their youth! Try to hold off on at least one bottle till then… as that’s when the REAL magic happens! ++pts (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Nice notes and an adventure I would not have done at this early stage, but I hear you as to the amazing attributes and potential this has. I’ve got the 06, 08 and 11` versions and am about to open one soon.

I have a fond love for this vineyard as one of the best Pinots I’ve ever had was the 95` Williams Selyem Summa in mag as shared with Burt.

I love these Rivers Marie wines!

The 06’s are KILLER right now! You’re in for a treat Blake! Use a Durand though…

• 2006 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (1/14/2020)
    Seductive nose of crushed tart cherries, sassafras/indian spice, smoked cherry wood, deep earth tones with sue’s bra starting to show!(sous bois) Tart and perky youthful in the mouth…still has nice snap of cherry and raspberry acidity…transparent in body…silky smooth, yet a little edge. The perfume of the florals, dried fruit, and candied spices are intoxicating! Christmas/forest/sassafras spice, smoked vines, whole cluster funk…ALL in a perfect balance with some air integration. Finishes refreshingly tart, spicy…more about the earth and mineral salinity, than ripe sweet fruit. Just wonderful! (96 pts.)

• 2006 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Old Vines Summa - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (4/7/2020)
    Cellared since release, open in bottle for an hour, lost the tip of the cork in bottle. Little cloudy, translucent crancherry, slight rust rim color…GORGEOUS nose of dusty smoked cherry, sandalwood spice, licorice…mixed in with some sous bois, stem funk, and pretty dried rose petals. The fruit is still quite fresh and ripe…tarted up nicely with some sour cherry, raspberry, wild strawberry…and a rhubarb dryness…silky smooth, yet with a nice snap of acidity and exotic spice(xmas, forest, sassafras,dried orange). As with the 06 Summa that I had in Jan…the perfume florals, dried fruits, and candied spices are intoxicating! Very similar to that Summa…but the OV has a little more finesse and elegance to it. Just LOVE the Chambolle-esk crushed red fruit brightness, and the exotics of the florals and spices. Finishes as did the Summa…refreshingly tart and spicy…more about the earth and mineral salinity, than ripe sweet fruit. As good as it gets for me! (97 pts.)

1 Like

Thanks for making my selection easier. Salivating induced notes on yours.