TN: 2019 Masion Leroy, Gamay

2019 Maison Leroy, Gamay. So I love me some Cru Beaujolais and a local shop had some of my usual suspects…but then I saw something out of the corner of my eye. ‘Leroy’. I’m not a big Burgundy guy but I’m obviously familiar with the producer. The conundrum was the price vs. Some of my other favorite producers. Was it work literally double the price?? Screw it, let’s give it a go! And while I fully expected to be a little disappointed…I’m definitely not! This is outstanding! Clean, pure gamay fruit but with a bit more complexity and structure compared to other Cru Beaujolais. Absolutley delicious and one of the more enjoyable bottles that I’ve had in a while. Is it work twice the cost of other top producers in the region?? I’m not sure…but I’m not mad that I bought this! Cheers!

5 Likes

Great note! Glad you enjoyed it.

1 Like

Thanks Jeremy! It was pretty impressive…and i was fully ready to be disappointed, ha!

I cellared a few bottles of this a couple of years back, and we drank one so far. We really enjoyed it as well.

1 Like

We had a bottle of this at Torc in Napa and thought it was excellent, but didn’t realize it was a shiner. Still delicious and currently cellaring some, maybe time to try another.

2 Likes

Nice! I liked it enough that I’m planning on going back to grab at least a couple more. Im guessing it’s even better with some more age on it.

1 Like

@William_Kelley said on insta that its declassified Chiroubles as far as he knows, but wasnt 100% on whether they are shiners or bought in bulk (but thought shiners).

1 Like

Amazing wine, had it a few times. My printer bought me a few to bring home as well, but they did not last very long.

2 Likes

It really is pretty damn fantastic! Still thinking about it today, ha! Ill be going back tomorrow to get more :cheers:

had a bottle of this a couple months ago - outstanding and definitely one of the best Gamays ive had. Is it overpriced? yes and Id choose a Foillard cote du puy over this especially for the price, but regardless it was a really delicious wine that im glad I bought

1 Like

Damn, who knew!!!

Need to check it out!

2 Likes

What does “shiners” mean in this context?

2 Likes

I 100% agree with this! It’s a struggle to get past the price considering there’s so much great Beaujolais at literally half the price…but damn this is really, really great wine!

I’m pretty sure you’d dig it a lot my man! Would love to hear your take if you come across a bottle!

1 Like

I believe they meant that Leroy buys the wine already in bottle and puts their label on it…but I’m not 100%. Maybe someone much more knowledgeable than myself will chime in.

Curious where do the grapes come from?

2 Likes

That’s my understanding of shiner as well - which makes me want to find out who declassified this and sold it off, so we can try the stuff that they deemed worthy of the actual Chiroubles AOC labeling!

2 Likes

Would love to know!

Ahh, thanks. That would be disappointing if true. I mean it makes no difference regarding the wine itself, but it’s cool to think Leroy is actually making an affordable offering.

2 Likes

Ha! That isn’t how the Beaujolais works. Everything is for sale in bulk. The price of 100 liters of Chiroubles in bulk is around 220 EUR. A courtier would source the wine in bulk or in bottle, likely the former in the case of the Beaujolais, and then sell it to the négociant.

2 Likes