TN: 2019 Kelley Fox Wines Pinot Noir Maresh Vineyard

Ok I’ll bite! How is the Maresh Royal Anne different from the Maresh?

:slight_smile:

Location, location, location.
The longest running Maresh Bottling, which for the longest time has had no name associated on the label but does now (Liminal), are two 1970 planted blocks on the eastern side of the farm. The most southerly facing is pommard and the more sheltered of the two is wadensvil. The Maresh, now Liminal, is the best free run barrels from both of those blocks blended together. Probably the most delicate and pretty of them all. A personal fave. The others are magical…but you can chose a favorite child.
The Royal Ann Block are younger (early 90s planted) pommard, which abut a hundred year old Royal Ann Cherry tree grove half way up in altitude on the property. Hence the name. It’s just named block 10 at the farm. With a southerly exposure and open out to the west too. Of course shaded by trees to the east. Kelley gives it the cute name. I also think the trees help provide some character through yeast sharing, fruit/flower dropping and root connection. Every time I enjoy the wine…my first thought is ‘Cherries?’…blame the trees. The 2019 is singing.
I’m hoping to get the rest of the country shipping here soon so whomever were able to get some from B14. Temps have been a little unpredictable out to the east and south.

3 Likes

Great into. And I’m a 100% with you on the cherry tones in the Royal Anne. Red Barn and Star of Bethlehem are also unique Maresh blocks, correct? Very sad that 2018 was the last Red Barn bottling. Will Star of Bethlehem continue in 2021?

1 Like

[ChrisJames] you are spot on about the blocks all being unique. The Red Barn is sadly no longer with us. It is the two 1970 blocks just off of the Barn (tasting room). To me it has a bit more lushness than the Liminal from the same age and clonal old vines.
The 2021 Star of Bethlehem Flower Block will be released this fall…mmmmmm. This one is just above the Royal Ann Block on top of the hill. More sun, more wind, more exposure. I have noticed more texture and boldness than all the other ones, probably why it tends to get the most attention. The domestic pallets tends to gravitate to fuller wines. Is it a monster? Oh h*ll no. It’s just the more pronounced.
I’ve noticed over the many years, that some folks just gravitate to one bottling over another. Everyone’s pallet is different. All in all, they are very special.

2 Likes

I was honestly surprised by the older Kelley Fox wines ive had for that exact reason. I really enjoy them young, they have such good energy and elegance and balance young. But the older ones Ive had did seem to gain from the time in bottle: a bit of added complexity, a little bit more stuffing (in a good way, I was worried it would become even lighter which I dont know would have benefitted her wines).

the trick is leaving them alone long enough to get the age on them. that’s why its so awesome when they do library releases for berserkerday: she aged them for us!

Had my second to last 12 Maresh a couple of weeks ago and in my opinion it’s still on the rise. Really lovely bottle!

What do people think the optimal age is to start drinking their KF wines? Do they see a dumb phase or can you pretty much drink them at any point in their development? @Dustin_Swenson when are you and Kelley enjoying her wines the most?

@dcornutt This thread has gone far beyond your TN. Now that @Dustin_Swenson is also chiming in, maybe you could change the thread title to “All Things Kelley Fox” or something like that. A specific KF thread is long over due and this way, there is no need to start over.

1 Like

Since Dustin is sleeping in today, I’ll share my thoughts. I always buy a six pack of the entry level red, Mirabai (and previously Ahurani) for immediate drinking. For the red single vineyard wines, I think they can be drunk from the get-go, but will get much better with time. Last year, I tried a 2017 Hyland and while delicious, I thought it was definitely too young. For the whites, the track record is short, but I am inclined to drink them in the first few years after release. I believe Ms. Fox would concur with this.

The wines typically show amazingly well after about a year or so after bottling. In their extreme youth they are like a baby giraffe…they’re walking, but not as majestic as they could be. That being said, I tend to start checking in on them around the 3-5 year mark after bottling. I’m popping '17s and '18s now. I’m also not the most patient and my cellar isn’t the largest space. Wine has to leave to make room for the next stash. And the winery library is quite small/young and there are only a few wines I’ve gotten to try. When I do try the older ones I am always wildly amazed at how youthful in nature they to tend to stay. @Mattstolz said it well with the weight tends to build up over time too. It’s a great balance. I’ve been working with her for many years now and I still have no clue how she does it. Must be a touch of art and whimsy.

2 Likes

I’m convinced it’s the music during foot treading. Grapes like to party!

With that logic…I must be grapes.

Kelley once told me she was working in the winery listening to “Mars.” I thought “Gustav Holst’s The Planets?” Nope. Nasa recordings from the Mars rover.

1 Like

It’s all true!
My personal fave was 2019, the year of Mongolian throat singing. A lot of giggling/confusion on my side when walking through the winery.
I guess the grapes like to party with that.

Got a YouTube link for that?

Does Ms. Fox watch White Lotus?

I have no idea what she was actually listening to, but I found this:

Thanks Dustin, looks like Ill probably check in on my 18s next year.

@ChrisJames I think I need to pick up some Mirabai moving forward…

To date, Mirabai is a combination of Maresh and Weber fruit, so 100% Dundee Hills. Same vineyards, same farming, same wine making as the single vineyard bottlings. It’s just composed of barrels that she feels didn’t quite make the cut. And while not “cheap” for entry level AVA PN, it’s still a great deal for what it is.

IIRC, it also includes press wine, while the vineyard bottlings are 100% free run juice.

Ah. I didn’t know that. @Dustin_Swenson, confirmation on that?