TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

When tasting the wines I find nothing that would indicate a potential lack of longevity. Of course the “doesn’t age” meme has come up before, and been dead wrong before. I am certain it will be wrong here.

1 Like

The aging potential is no different from any other top producer on the Saar and Mosel. I’ve tasted wines from the late eighties and early nineties that showed very well. Unlike certain estates that have a Schatzkammer, the Webers don’t have a large private cellar of back vintages.

1 Like

I guess maybe I wasn’t clear, but I meant that that’s correct. The Webers also lightly pressed their grapes in the 2019 vintage. But, as I wrote in that earlier thread, the first pressing doesn’t only include the free-run juice. I’m not bothered by your questions at all. You’re an astute observer. A number of big-name German producers have purchased expensive Bucher basket presses for a part of their production because these are very gentle and give the equivalent of free-run juice.

The Webers intuitively chose to fraction a part of the pressing in the 2018 vintage, but they always did whole-bunch pressing. Most producers lightly crush and press the grapes, which gives more juice and a different style of wine. One can also macerate the crushed grapes before pressing. As for fractioning, certain producers keep all the pressings from a given batch for different wines, so there’s no real financial sacrifice. Once again, I don’t want to name names or give away all the details about the Webers’ pressing regimen in a wine forum.

1 Like

Thanks Lars. I appreciate the response. As I think more about the thread, I guess part of what’s so interesting, and what makes the Hofgut Falkenstein wines so exciting, is that the really are different than anything else produced in the Saar. The wines are unique. In any event, I just checked my own records. I started buying these in the 2013 vintage. For the 2018/19 vintages, I’ve got about 60 bottles from each vintage. I’ve got more than that in 2017. So I will be able to drink a few bottles a year for the next 50 years and can report back.
A

1 Like

Another thing that makes HF unique among European wineries is having Lars here, participating so frequently and openly (even if he has to keep a “house secret” to himself now and again).

Being able to connect with the estate like this is tremendous, and very much appreciated! [cheers.gif]

3 Likes

Agreed. Really like having Lars post here and his responsiveness on IG, especially if you post a pic of a Hofgut Falkenstein wine and haven’t tagged it properly :wink:

2 Likes

Agreed! Lots of useful information from Lars, particularly if you become a member of his site. Lots of useful articles for subscribers there.
A

1 Like

I think that if a bottle of wine has been open and does not decline, it is a good indicator of it’s ageability. In 2016, I was given several cases of bottles of various 2015 Falkenstein wines that had been opened before I received them. The corks were put back in the bottle and they sat in cases in the hallway of my apartment. I finished the last bottles about four months after I received them and noticed no deterioration in quality. Additionally, I have kept bottles of various vintages that were half finished (mostly auslese and spatlese) in the fridge for a month with similar “results”. Unfortunately, all of these were 2015 or later as that was my first vintage.

I think they are quite ageworthy, but hard to age as I have never found one to be less than delicious.

While it hasn’t received as much attention as some of the other 2019’s, the Ober Schaferhaus is also worth seeking out. It’s the most exciting trocken Falkenstein wine that I’ve ever had the pleasure of tasting. I’ve killed 10 bottles out of a case thus far, although some of them have been gifted to friends.

1 Like

[cheers.gif] champagne.gif [cheers.gif]

I reloaded on the 2019 Ober Schaferhaus after trying it. Very good!

You must be a lot younger than me
I have calculated the there should still be time to enjoy my bottles of Keller, Shäfer, Schönleber, Prüm Koehler Ruprecht etc etc AND FALKENSTEIN :blush::blush::clinking_glasses::clinking_glasses: