TN: 2019 Gut Hermannsberg Altenbamberger Rotenberg Riesling Großes Gewächs

This was actually the first bottle I bought from Lyle Fass a little over three years ago. And it’s this type of wine that has made him my top source for riesling (too much riesling) and other interesting things along the way. His notes on this wine were a bit over the top, but when you drink it, they very much ring true.

• 2019 Gut Hermannsberg Altenbamberger Rotenberg Riesling Großes Gewächs - Germany, Nahe (4/19/2024)
    Last bottle was enjoyed with friends over a boisterous dinner, just a week ago, when I didn't have the time/space to really dig in to the wine. Tonight, it's just me and the bottle. Bright moderately deep golden straw color. Nose has a dense florality, mineral backbone, lemon oil top notes, hints of a slightly sweet almond paste then full on ripe golden peach. Lots of depth to it. Wow, taking a sip, really great wave of lush stony citrus, segueing into a long mango pucker finish. Again, lots of layers to this. Both easy drinking and notably complex. Damn. And each sip brings out other teases. (point wise I started at 93... 10 minutes later bumped it up... 10 minutes more bumped it up again... fantastic stuff.) (95 points)

Posted from CellarTracker

6 Likes

In case you were wondering (as I was) where the heck Altenbamberger Rotenberg is…

From the winery:
“… located in the Alsenz Valley, a tributary valley of the Nahe, is our most remote, steep, and highest-altitude vineyard. Its south-facing slopes tower above the town of Altenbamberg with the romantic Altenbaumburg castle on the opposite side of the valley. Here, the slopes are even steeper and higher than those in the Nahetal. The soils, formed during the Rotliegendes period, are interspersed with rhyolite, formerly known as quartz porphyry. This unique mineral composition gives the wines of the Rotenberg their distinctiveness. A gentle breeze that plays around the cooler heights contributes to their unique character and allows for a continuous, slow, and extended growing season for the grapes - terroir conditions that are becoming increasingly rare and valuable.”

1 Like

Great note I want to love these more than I do. But have only tried a few of the Gut Hermannsberg wines. I will focus more! Part of the problem is I compare them to Schafer-Fröhlich and Emrich-Schonleber.

3 Likes

I do love what Gut Hermannsberg is doing. Of course I am less of a fan of S-F and E-S than some.

2 Likes

Big drop off day 2 : (

1 Like

What’s day 2? :rofl:

1 Like

Based on this post, I opened oneof my bottles of this. You are spot on with your notes. I loved it! Such a complex wine with so much depth. I should have purchased more! How long do you think they will live and would they improve with age?

1 Like

I am being sorely tempted to break my 10 year rule on opening GGs…