TN: 2019 Gevrey Village Duel

• 2019 Charles Van Canneyt Gevrey-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin (5/26/2022)
    Diam 10. PnP. Ready to go right out of the bottle. Loads of bright red fruit, a bit crunchy with Gevrey spice. Palate is more of the same with bright acidity to balance the ripe fruit. This is classic 2019 and although naturally primary, extremely crushable right now. That’s really the problem with this wine: it goes down so smooth the bottle is gone way too quickly. Haven’t had enough experience with HN to comment on the house style. (91 pts.)
  • 2019 Henri Magnien Gevrey-Chambertin Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin (5/25/2022)
    Rich and full nose with lots of deep purple fruit. Shows some newer world style on first pour, but opens up over time to reveal some depth and interest. Not my favorite '19 at this point but may develop more over time.

Was the Magnien an NBI wine? Do they still do those? Back in the day, those were all you could find on the West Coast for Magnien and Arlaud (and probably others). I don’t recall coming across Van Canneyt but that sounds compelling for immediate enjoyment.

Cheers,
fred

Would’ve been interesting to toss 19 drouhin Gevrey ac in with those.

Don’t buy those. I buy their CM 1er and CdB