TN: 2019 Fourrier Clos St. Jacques

1st of 6. I’ve drank a lot of Fourrier, but never popped one of these. 2019 is the first vintage of CSJ where I purchased a full 6 pack, so I decided to take one for a spin - what a show stopper! An insane floral spice box that long-jumps from the glass - you can smell this wine from 6 feet away - it fills the room… Wow the nose on this wine… the palette is waves of silk and spice followed by a tide of crystalline red fruits that saturate the palette, meld with the velvety tannins, and transition to chai spice as it simmers on the finish. This wine is sensual, spicy, and long - it has staying power. A real wow wine… Obviously young, but so complex and enjoyable even in this early state.

5 Likes

love the visual on the “long jumps from the glass.” :cheers:

Cheers, thanks! The nose really was the most striking part. Especially for the first 90 minutes or so.

Young Fourier CSJ can be dynamite in my limited experiences. Glad this showed so well.

I was hesitant to open it at first, but no regrets - I’m glad that I didn’t miss the hedonistic fruit. This will be a fun one to follow over the years.

Ooh, so close to nailing the palette/pallet/palate thing. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Nice note on what sounds like an amazing wine.

The 2019 Rousseau CSJ is also terrific. Apparently something very good happened in that vineyard in 2019.

1 Like

Must be the most misspelled word in amateur wine notes haha :laughing:

Would love to do a horizontal of 19 CSJ. Could be a good 10 year on tasting to organize!

Recently did a blind 2017 CSJ horizontal with each bottling except for Rousseau. The Bruno Clair really stole the show while the Fourrier took a bit longer to come around and was much improved the next day.

2 Likes

Any other highlights? Esmonin? Jadot?

I could totally see that. I’ve had two Fourrier 2017 Gevrey VVs in the last 6 months and they both took 2 - 3 hours to open up, but 2 years ago they were ready to go right out of the gate. The 17 Gruenchers is still open for business though.

1 Like

Just saw this on Reddit and had a moment of deja vu. Looking to add either the 2017 or this to my collection!

1 Like

Never had the 17 CSJ, but I have a lot of experience with 17 Fourrier in general (I’ve had GC VV, CAM and Gruenchers). 19’s are bigger wines with a slightly sweater more sensual fruit profile. I wasn’t a huge fan of the 19 GC VV, but loved this CSJ. 2017s are much lighter bodied wines, almost rose like in appearance, but still pack a serious punch from a flavor standpoint. Both vintages are red fruit driven in my opinion, but 17 has higher toned fruit. Fourrier did well in both vintages, but I have a huge soft spot for Fourrier 17s up and down the range. The 19s may have more opportunity for long term development, but I doubt you would be disappointed in either. If it’s one or the other I might make the call on price. Especially if you could get two bottles of 17 for the price of one 19.

1 Like

The consensus order of the group after tasting was:
Bruno Clair

Esmonin
Fourrier

Jadot

Unfortunately, the Bruno and Esmonin didn’t make it past the tasting window so we didn’t really see how those evolved. The Fourrier and Jadot really improved with some air though - Fourrier especially.

Haven’t had Fourrier’s 2019 CSJ but I love Fourrier’s wines and really like 2019 vintage. So I am sure the combination is great.

In the name of science (or perhaps I should say, “*in the name of @Wil_Raley *”), I decided to check in on this one.

• 2019 Domaine Fourrier Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Clos St. Jacques Vieille Vigne - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru (4/28/2024)
    Whoa.
    Dense powerful primary fruit, all ripe red cherries, earth and iron, spicebox, stems, perfumed aromatics.
    Medium+ tannic grip and medium acids. Last glass evolved to show some licorice, salt and a touch of tar. 13.5% Alc.

Every now and then you sip a delicate Syrah that is easy to confuse with Pinot, but this is the first Pinot I’ve had that tasted like a love-child of Nebbiolo…nothing delicate here.

This is a delicious glass with loads of good material to age well and interestingly, but I suspect it will be a polarizing wine; if ethereal and light-bodied are what you want from Burgundy, this ain’t it. (95 points)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Great notes! I completely agree - it’s a very powerful, and sensual wine. I saved a glass for 24 hours when I opened mine, and found that it had lightened up with savory notes coming more to the forefront as the fruit settled down on day 2. I think it will age very well. It has a ton of baby fat though. Cheers! :wine_glass: :wine_glass:

1 Like