TN: 2019 Dönnhoff Hermannshöhle Riesling Großes Gewächs

• 2019 Dönnhoff Hermannshöhle Riesling Großes Gewächs - Germany, Nahe (12/20/2023)
    Decanted 6hrs. Quite the Enchantress on the nose, lots of yellow plums, Mirabelle, Yuzu – whatever, take yer pick as it was seductive as all get out. Donnhoff was my gate way to German GG’s starting with the 2006-07 vintages, and I have purchased sporadically throughout the years, all enjoyable, all very good to great. Certainly a top shelf specimen, and much more forgiving at this early look vs. that of say a Schonleber or Schafer Frolich GG. Brimming at the seams with complexities soon to unfurl, this gem had a very relaxed and caressing character. Great length, with a suggestion of a bitter finish with a lightly tannic bite on the tongue, but pivots to a clean, sweet swallow. Love this and in 4 to 8 years should be epic. (94 points)

Posted from CellarTracker

8 Likes

Nice. I think this bottling has gotten generally better (more consistent, anyway) in recent vintages. Maybe it’s just me. In any case, I’m happy to still be a buyer, even though price and availability aren’t what they used to be. I opened a 2016 recently that was really nice. 2011 about a year ago really outperformed my expectations too.

2 Likes