TN: 2019 Domaine Guiberteau Saumur Blanc

Already showing so, so well! Couldn’t resist opening it, and I’m so glad I did; lovely pure Chenin character, lightly waxy and ever so slightly honeyed, crushed white flowers, white peach, some flintiness, and that inscrutable crystalline quality Chenin always gives me. So elegant. Beautiful balance and acid, glides over the palate.

2 Likes

Damn, man! You’re finding the 2019 already?! It couldn’t have been more than 3 months ago when I took delivery of the '18s I bought. Thanks for the note. [cheers.gif]

Thank you for sharing this! I love this producer’s whites and will certainly be on the lookout for this.

Thanks for the note! I will definitely have to look for some to order for my delve into the Loire this year

Admittedly they just arrived in our market a couple weeks ago and I’m always on record as wanting some!

So far I’ve had three bottles of this:

1. corked.
  2. not corked (See note below)
  3. very slightly corked

2019 Domaine Guiberteau Saumur Blanc - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Saumur (8/25/2022)
– popped and poured after another bottle of the same had TCA –
– tasted non-blind –

Tight Nose. Light maize color with slight green tinge. Medium-light to medium bodied on the palate, with some lime, salty umami, and lots of mineral, backed-up by medium+ to high acidity.

2019 Domaine Guiberteau Saumur Blanc - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Saumur (12/16/2023)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over 2.5 hrs –

Relaxing, relative to prior bottles; canned peaches and light pineapple; juicy; high acidity; some background mineral. Best bottle of this vintage so far.

3 Likes