TN: 2019 Domaine du Cayron Gigondas (France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Gigondas)

2019 Domaine du Cayron Gigondas - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Gigondas (11/6/2022)
Coming back to this wine after an 18 vintage break. My last purchase was the wild, and wildly variable 2000, which caused me to walk away. Hearing good things, and missing the Southern Rhône, I grabbed several bottles of the 2019. Tasted over 24 hours this was sleeker and more polished than the 1996-2000 wines that I was used to, but also still clearly typical of the appellation. Cherries, herbs, leather and dusty earth felt familiar. There wasn’t much brett/funk, but that probably was a good thing. Just a touch hot on the finish at first (thank you climate change), but that disappeared with air. Still a solid value for under $30, and I am more than tempted to try a few more vintages.

6 Likes

Oh cool, I was looking at this yesterday myself. Like you, I drank a lot of this back in the day, and then it sort of fell off my radar. I picked some up from the 2016 vintage and absolutely loved it, ended up getting six more. The 2017 was decent as well. I skipped 2018 vintage for the obvious reasons, but looks like I need to grab some 2019.

2 Likes

The 2016 was one my best values I’ve yet to find and bought a case. Haven’t had the 19 and appreciate the note. JLL gave it 4.5 out of 6 stars (the ‘16 was six stars):
attractive, good, dark red robe; the bouquet reflects sun without excess, has a mulled fruits aroma, cherry and plum, with a herbal tone, dried herbes de Provence, and a reserved sweetness, a touch of meat stock. The palate has a most pleasing texture from the off, glides along, gives Grenache plum fruit and something I find here, juniper, has a suave feel, bingo tannins on board that fit like a velvet glove. It carries intricacies that appeal. There is a little late tenacity as it digs in, meaning it requires a little time. This is a whizzo Gigondas that carries finesse and local feel, is STGT , with no undue effort attached – this is a swan that really is not paddling below the water. The length is aromatic, the whole of high interest. Its balance means it can be drunk sooner than maybe usual – from 2023. 2043-45

2 Likes

The three daughters took a good long while to find their footing after they took over from their father, Michel. He and his father made the wines many of us remember from the 80s and 90s. They seem to have found their way since 2016. Unlike David, I even found hints of the old, feral Cayron in the 2019. Such is taste.

3 Likes

Now I’m definitely buying!

2 Likes

Just picked up a couple of these b/c of this thread.

2 Likes

I loved the '16 Cayron and, regretting that I hadn’t bought more, picked up a half case of the '18. I don’t recall any alcohol or balance issues with the '18, though I haven’t tasted it in a year or more.

I’m pretty insensitive to brett, but I found these generally clean. Just excellent old-vine grenache wines.

I’m interested that some of you incline toward the '19 vintage. I had a '19 Charvin Cotes du Rhone a week ago that was conspicuously alcoholic and was marked at 15% – very out of character for the winery. Their '18 was much better.

A photo of Gigondas near sunset in January 2017. It makes me thirsty for some Cayron…

7 Likes

Dammit so did I, love hate relationship with this place :slight_smile:

As a vintage, I don’t prefer the 19 to the 18. It is not really that much more alcoholic. No vintages really are, anymore. But it is much more tannic and bigger without being more pleasing. I think the 18 and the 20 are far preferable vintages. I also don’t know that I wouldn’t prefer the 18 Cayron to the 19. But that wasn’t the topic. Since I don’t often buy these here, I’m limited to buying what’s out in Gigondas and I tend to take the vintages as they come.

2 Likes

Opened another bottle of the 2019 tonight. It needed an hour open, but it’s lovely now.

1 Like

Fun to bump this, as I bought some '15 and '14 on recommendations from @Jorge_Henriquez and @Robert.A.Jr - the '15 is, understandably, a ripe wine, but the '14 is quite enjoyable, indeed, similar in description to what you outlined for the '19.

Coincidentally, just popped the 2020…

3 Likes

You and the OP are obviously of one singular mind!

Samesies!

Like you, he idolizes me…

This 2020 is really quite lovely. It’s not 2016 or an old school, slightly-feral Cayron. It’s a more rounded, accessible vintage of this wine, with clean red fruits and florals in full display. Soft but not in an over-ripe way, just a silky caress on the palate. Say, 91 points. I’m a buyer for more.

1 Like

Well since you endorsed it I have to seek some out.

1 Like

O hai

2 Likes

Opened another bottle tonight. Delicious, comforting wine with plenty of Southern Rhône character. I will let my other bottles rest to see what might develop over time.

3 Likes

Cayron 1995 was my first case purchase red wine! Miss the days where it was sub $20.

2 Likes

@ToddFrench will appreciate this.

I was all excited to jump on this thread and post on the delicious 2020, totally forgot that I drink it last year, lol. I just got in a six pack last week. Totally forgot that I had already bought it before as well. More is more!

1 Like