TN: 2019 Château Thivin Côte de Brouilly

• 2019 Château Thivin Côte de Brouilly - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Côte de Brouilly (2/7/2022)
    Sometimes I put a bottle of wine in a difficult situation. This 2019 Thivin was faced with an extra-spicy homemade Chicken Makhani, and some roasted butternut squash and sweet potato with smoked paprika as a side dish. Damn if it didn’t step up and socialize with both of them. I think the extra richness/depth of the modern, climate-influenced era helped, as the additional juiciness provided buffering to the spiciness in the chicken, as well as a foil to the smokiness in the paprika. The creaminess of the Makhani sauce melted the little bit of tannin in the wine, making the whole pairing work on every level. I don’t think a more classical, higher acid version would have worked as well (though it still would have worked), and even a bit more ripeness in the wine would not have been a problem.

Posted from CellarTracker

4 Likes

Opened another bottle tonight. Probably number 10 or 11, if not more. This wine is flat out amazing. If I had to choose (please, don’t make me choose) this would be my pick for my all-time favorite Beaujolais.

Wow, speaks volumes!

I kinda feel the same way about the 2019 Thivin Cuvee Zaccharie and the 2019 Roilette Griffe du Marquis. Both amazing wines in that 94-95 point range to me. And just ridiculous values. I’ve had a few better, like some Foillard 3.14, Metras L’Ultime and Bouland Delys, but for pure unadulterated and affordable pleasure, these two wines from 2019 are extraordinary. And like you, I bought cases and can’t keep my grubby paws off of them!

1 Like

The 19 Zaccharie is mind boggling stuff, so good.

1 Like

Remember Pat that we got that stuff for $20 per bottle, lol. That’s like the deal of the decade for us.

That was amazing, except I only bought one case. If I’d known how good it was, I would have bought a lot more than that at that price!