TN: 2019 Cattleya Cabernet Sauvignon (USA, California, Napa Valley, Coombsville)

Bibiana makes excellent wines across her labels (Cattleya, Alma de Cattleya, and Shared Notes) but is somehow still under the radar. I think her SB and Syrah to be particularly outstanding, but her Cabs are no slouch either.

• 2019 Cattleya Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley, Coombsville (11/20/2022)
    Bibiana says this is a Coombsville single-vineyard wine. She was barred from using the vineyard name on the label because she didn't purchase the 2020 fruit (smoke taint). As a result, she feels this is priced at half of what it should be. Based on what I have in the glass, I completely agree.

Decanted for 40min, back to bottle for 6h, then into a decanter and followed for 2h with a steakhouse dinner.

This is extremely high quality but so so tight. Brooding, dark blue, intense, with profound structure. There is deep blue fruit, a subtle herbal tinge, tons of dark rocky minerality, and barely noticeable oak (a huge plus for me). Proper acidity and big tannins are well hidden and just barely showing. This is not big or in your face, it has very sophisticated power. Iron fist velvet glove.

Despite being open for 2 hours in a decanter with dinner, it barely opened up. This needs another 5 years on its side at minimum.

HOLD. 93+ with huge upside. (93 points)

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes