TN: 2019 Cantina del Pino Barbera d'Alba Superiore - a superb value

2019 Cantina del Pino Barbera d’Alba Superiore

First, there is nothing big and loud in this Barbera. I truely appreciate this. Based on old vines from Ovello, this wine convince you by its grandeur, structure, depth, freshness and drinking pleasure. Flavors of cherry, blackberry and red currant. Despite its youth, beautiful to drink now. New estate for me and I will definitely keep my eyes open for the higher ranking wines. What a superb value for 17€ in Germany at my favorite wineshop, Pinard de Picard

92/100 Vinous
92/100 Wine Enthusiast

2 Likes

Haven’t had the Barbera but the Dolcetto and Nebbiolo wines are definitely worth a good. Usually very good wines from the smaller sample I have tried, the last bottle was the 2019 Nebbiolo - was quite serious and from top of my head I thought a some years to let it come around would be a good idea.

1 Like

Thanks. That reminds me to open a Barbaresco 2016 from this cantina in near future.

1 Like

I made this mistake a few weeks ago. Despite some notes on cellar tracker to the contrary, I thought it was still very closed up – i’d suggest leaving it alone a while longer if you can help it.

2 Likes

Kevin Courtney opened a 2016 Barbaresco yesterday:

„ was inspired to open this, since I have quite a few bottles. Obviously still very young, tight and tannic, but the nose already has nice florals and red berries. Fine grained tannins and good acid, but rather austere as you would expect on the palate. Needs time, but drinkable if you like that strict young Nebbiolo style“

P.S.

no wonder, the Barbera was much better/open on Day 2. Impressive balance and elegance for a Barbera.

What a terrific valua for 17€

A real memorial wine. It‘s one of the last wines the winemaker Renato Vacca had vinified and released himself. He died, only 51 years old, in March 2020. I‘m waiting for the 2018 vineyard wines.

1 Like