TN: 2018 Terrine XV Event

The day of the 15th annual Terrine event dawned clear and hot, even though where we are located right beside a river is probably one or two degrees lower than other locations. Fortunately there was a nice breeze all day and we were in the shade.

I had obtained a full lobe of duck foie gras for my dish and had half of it left over and the thing to do was to confit it and offer it as an extra introductory course with a couple of foie friendly wines.

1988 Château de Rayne-Vigneau – this Sauternes was a medium golden colour with a typical orange rind and apricot nose with some nice spice hints and what I took to be faint pine as well. Balanced, not too sweet, and worked with the foie gras.

2007 Château Raymond-Lafon – I was surprised that there wasn’t too much difference in colour between the two wines two decades apart. More citrus crisper nose here and lots of acidity on palate though still quite sweet – needs time.

Next up was a Scallop and Shrimp Terrine with leek and saffron in St Jacques sauce with Abbotsford Corn.

2002 Pierre Paillard Champagne Grand Cru Brut Millésimé – delightful lemon brioche nose and clear appley flavours with long finish. Good.

Ariston Aspasie Champagne Brut Prestige NV – broader fruit notes in the nose and some bread dough. Good fruit levels and medium length.

Foie Gras Ballotine and Asparagus Terrine with Shallot Rosemary Marmalade, Fennel Apple Salad and Buttered Radishes

2010 Domaine de la Taille aux Loups Montlouis-sur-Loire Remus Plus – This has been in my cellar for several years and is showing maturity now and should be drunk in the near term, but it was still lovely. Floral interesting nose, on palate rich and with sweet melon, but followed by a dry finish.

2012 Tantalus Vineyards Riesling Old Vines – one of the best Riesling producers in BC, in this case overshadowed by a later wine. Youthful colour and very Riesling petrol nose, impeccable balance and dry finish.

Rabbit Terrine with sour cherry compote, cornichons and toast points

2011 Sperling Vineyards Riesling Old Vines – light yellowish with a clean varietal nose, more citrus than petrol and a long clean finish. Good.

2011 Muller-Catoir Mussbach Riesling Kabinett – a good choice for the food – a Spatlese would have been too sweet and a trocken too dry. Lighter Riesling nose with citrus hints, crisp acidity and classy long finish. Nice Riesling.

Duck Terrine a l’Orange with fresh fruits

2016 Bellingham Chenin Blanc Bernard Series Old Vine – I’ve tasted this wine twice recently and in neither case was there the level of sulfur I saw in this bottle. Like sticking your head in a bag that someone had lit a match in. As a result I liked the wine less than I had before and felt that it was marred by the excessive sulfur, but otherwise the flavours were fairly clean and the finish had decent length.

2014 Marcel Lapierre Morgon – nice medium red colour, some very nice strawberry fruit in the nose, with followed through on palate with a clean medium length finish.

Terrine of Artichoke, Deviled Ham and Black Truffles with braised fresh artichoke heart and candied Nicoise olive

2006 Domaine Philippe & Vincent Jaboulet Cornas - bright colour, darker than the Beaujolais of course and showing a very nice Northern Rhone black pepper and meaty bacon fat nose. On palate some nice dark cherry and blackberry elements and still significant tannins. Classy wine.

2000 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape – browner edges and a sweeter riper nose than the Cornas. Mellow in the mouth, smooth and absolutely ready, somewhat to my surprise – time to drink! Have tagged mine for near term drinking.

After the smoke cleared and most had departed homeward, I opened a last bottle:

2005 Zind-Humbrecht Gewurztraminer Herrenweg de Turckheim – quite a bit of colour and a rather nice sweet ginger nose and some apricot, off dry but carrying a fair bit of acidity ending with good length. Worked as an after terrine wine.

Bill. Another great year of terrines. Thanks for including us. Here are my notes:

2002 Pierre Paillard Champagne Grand Cru Brut Millésimé - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (7/29/2018)
Clear light yellow, light mousse. Great nose, brule, bread dough, baked apple, pastry and a hint of saffron. Tasty dry creamy apple and butterscotch flavours and a long dry finish. (93 pts.)

2006 Domaine Philippe & Vincent Jaboulet Cornas - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas (7/29/2018)
Bright red. Very clean nose, pepper, earth and blackberry nose. Delicious rich blackberry, roast beef and pepper flavours and a long dry syrah finish. (92 pts.)

2000 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (7/29/2018)
Medium red with brown edges. Slightly sweet berry, earth and raspberry jam nose. Rich aged flavours of berry and beef and a rich but slightly soft finish.

Probably on the downhill slope to a certain extent but really enjoyable. (91 pts.)

2011 Müller-Catoir Riesling Mussbach Kabinett trocken - Germany, Pfalz (7/29/2018)
Light yellow. Light nose of spicy apple, lemon, petrol and water chestnut. Nice sweet pear and apple flavours and a nice dry finish.

Elegant German. (91 pts.)

2014 Marcel Lapierre Morgon - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (7/29/2018)
Clear medium red all the way to the edges. Young tight nose of cherry, raspberry and some developing funk. Delicious berry flavours and a long dry textured finish.

Just needs time. (91 pts.)

NV Ariston Aspasie Champagne Brut Prestige - France, Champagne (7/29/2018)
Clear light yellow, moderate mousse which seems to subside pretty quickly. Spicy lemon and apple nose with a tiny bit of yeastyness. Slightly creamy lemon curd flavours and a balanced textured finish. (91 pts.)

1988 Château de Rayne-Vigneau - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes (7/29/2018)
Medium gold, amber. aged medium intense nose, spicy apricot, orange and wet concrete nose. Nice stone fruit and lemon flavours and a balanced not too sweet finish. (90 pts.)

2011 Sperling Vineyards Riesling Old Vines - Canada, British Columbia, Okanagan Valley, Okanagan Valley VQA (7/29/2018)
Clear medium light yellow. Elegant nose, petrol, apple, white smoke and mineral. Spicy apple and citrus flavours and a textured dry finish.

A few years of bottle age seemed to be good for this one. (90 pts.)

2007 Château Raymond-Lafon - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes (7/29/2018)
Clear amber gold, surprisingly dark. Spicy lemon and brule nose, very intense and sweet. Lovable sweet lemon and stone fruit flavours and a lush finish. (89 pts.)

2010 Domaine de la Taille aux Loups Montlouis-sur-Loire Remus Plus - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Montlouis-sur-Loire (7/29/2018)
Clear medium yellow. Medium light intense nose of white flowers, spicy baked apple and cantaloupe. Dry spicy orchard fruit and a nice dry finish. (88 pts.)

2012 Tantalus Vineyards Riesling Old Vines - Canada, British Columbia, Okanagan Valley, Okanagan Valley VQA (7/29/2018)
Clear light yellow. Intense petrol and citrus nose. Dry petrol and lemon flavours and a very dry refreshing finish.

A bit one dimensional. (88 pts.)

2016 Bellingham Chenin Blanc The Bernard Series Old Vine - South Africa, Western Cape (7/29/2018)
Clear light yellow. The nose was mostly about sulfur, like a recently fired rifle, behind that was some citrus and apple. The flavours were a bit more pleasant, orchard fruits and dry lemon and the finish was refreshing.

I think a bit of oxidation makes Chenin Blanc more interesting, all this sulphur is ok with Chardonnay but not here IMHO. (86 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

BTW. I am at a loss to find a reason that CT re-orders my notes.

OMG this is insane.

Sounds like you are quoting my wife…

We’ve done one of these for the last 16 or 17 years, but time out for Covid in 2020.