TN: 2018 Cantina Terlan - Pinot Bianco "Vorberg" (Italy, Trentino-Alto Adige, Alto Adige, Terlano)

2018 Cantina Terlan Pinot Bianco Terlano Riserva Vorberg - Italy, Trentino-Alto Adige, Alto Adige, Terlano (7/4/2022)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over a couple hours –

NOSE: closed/reserved; caraway seed; a touch grassy/minty.

BODY: pale maize color; light to medium-light bodied.

TASTE: reserved, showing mostly mineral tones (as opposed to fruity); medium acidity; 14% alc. is pretty well-hidden. This was extremely underwhelming, given the sea of glorious reviews this bottling garners. Maybe it’s too young? I don’t know. At $45, I’m certainly not running to buy more. Quite frankly, I think their basic entry-level Pinot Bianco in the low $20s is a far better buy, and possibly even a more interesting wine, completely independent of price.

1 Like

Interesting. I’ve only drank bottles aged 5-8 years in vintages 2008-2012, but found them absolutely glorious wines. Problem was I could not find the wines anymore. Just bought a 6 pack of 2019s and am in no rush to open.

1 Like

I have also been underwhelmed by this wine, especially given praise I have heard from others. I have never had it with more than 3 yrs. age and it clearly needs more.

I have been much more impressed with Terlan’s Nova Domus than the Vorberg. Maybe not a fair comparison as the Nova Domus is a blend of pinot bianco, chardonnay, and sauvignon blanc.

1 Like

Thanks for chiming-in, Hal! I’ll give a bottle a shot if/when I see it. And welcome to the board! :blush: :wine_glass:

It’s a particular wine, can be a bit outsized, but really needs 8-10 years following the vintage to show it’s full potential. In it’s youth it is often underwhelming, puzzling.

1 Like

My favorite Pinot Bianco, bar none. That said, stylistically there can be a lot of vintage variation, and I’ve never tried the 2018. The last time I had it, the 2019 showed a lot of promise.

2 Likes

Yeah. This didn’t really sell me on Pinot Blanc. I remain skeptical of the value of the grape.

On this particular wine I would agree that the value is poor. Its a solid wine but at $45 I’d rather have a Chablis. For half that I can have a wine of similar drinking from Muscadet or the Savoie.

1 Like

The value proposition is not great here. Try San Michele Appiano Schulthauser for value. A different style of wine, more about variety and less about winemaking, half the price and 95% the wine. It also drinks well young with decent ageability.

2 Likes