TN: 2017 Ramey Chardonnay Hyde Vineyard (USA, California, Napa / Sonoma, Carneros)

2017 Ramey Chardonnay Hyde Vineyard - USA, California, Napa / Sonoma, Carneros (12/24/2022)
Paired with our Christmas Eve lobster dinner, this has settled into a very nice groove. Still slightly tropical, but also more transparent, as the oak has largely integrated. Richly flavorful, but not heavy, I kept going back for more. Glad to have several more bottles in the cellar, as it’s drinking very well with no end in sight.

8 Likes

Thanks for this David. I just opened my first 2017 HdV Chardonnay and it has really hit its stride so was contemplating opening a bottle of the 2017 Ramey Hyde Chardonnay in the near future and am happy to see it’s ready for action!

1 Like

Don’t love the sound of “tropical,” though I know this can be a feature of very good chardonnay–Leflaive comes to mind. Any structure, tautness, cut, to balance it out?

It has plenty of acidity.

Opened another bottle tonight to again accompany Christmas lobster dinner. Even brighter than last year’s bottle. Last year’s came from my dad’s cellar. This year’s came from my extremely cold cellar. Also mine was a direct buy, where my dad’s had been a three-tier system purchase.

3 Likes

Nice note. How cold is extremely cold?

48-50.