TN: 2017 Monje Tacoronte-Acentejo Hollera (Spain, Canary Islands, Tacoronte-Acentejo)

• 2017 Monje Tacoronte-Acentejo Hollera - Spain, Canary Islands, Tacoronte-Acentejo (11/17/2018)
    Recommended by a valued retailer as something interesting, and why would one not want to try a carbonic macerated Listan Negro?

Fresh cracked red peppercorn, creosote, tar, and black fruits on the nose. Medium bodied, very savory and meaty, with more pepper, but with an interesting juxtaposition of this seemingly structured and meaty/wild notes with a suppleness and sap to its palate. It mid weighted at most, but seems broader. There is a breadth and round edges, with a softness and suppleness, when I was expecting something more stern and angular. It has a simultaneous sense of wildness yet cohesion. I like this contrast quite a bit. Wild blackberries, tar, dry rub barbecue, and more fresh cracked pepper on the long and very savory finish. This is my second ever Listan Negro still red wine, and both have had this Chambolle meets Pelaverga nature that I find very interesting. I really enjoyed this and will seek out more. A terrific wine for roasted bird, game, or just about any roasted/ grilled meat for that matter. Blackened fish would be terrific as well. Great value to boot. Drink now. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Todd, as you know, I enjoyed this and restocked. I’m actually going to try it today with a lighter footed Dolcetto from Elio Sandri and perhaps a Beaujolais (depending on the demand at dinner) and see how it plays in that mix, playing more to the fruit/earth side. I find the c.m. makes this rather distinct from some of the other Listan Negro I’ve enjoyed so much, including several projects of Borja Perez (I know you like his viajierego) and Suertes del Marques…

Enjoy thanksgiving and best to your brood!

Great note. Wines from Canary Islands have been my discoveries of the last two years. Borja Perez’s wines are incredible!

However just one note on the grapes, the wine you mentioned is listan negro: which is more the workhorse grape in canary. I find it dusty, spicy, tea leaves, herbs and more in the black fruit spectrum.

The vijariego negro is a another grape, which is more rose petals, highly perfumed in the red fruit spectrum; reminding me of a chambolle.

Subu,

Thanks for the education on the varieties. I guess it was my first still Listan Negro, and would explain the greater finesse of the previous wine per your varietal character descriptions. The exploration is exciting and humbling. Thanks again