TN: 2017 Marie et Pierre Bénetière Côte-Rôtie Cordeloux

2010 Cordeloux is going for $300 per? Jfc I’ll take 2010 Jamet all day long for the same money

2 Likes

A full case of 09 and 11 from Benchmark are almost at 300 per. Don’t know what '10s are going for lately. But I agree- if I’m spending 300 for a cote rotie, I’d go for a '10 Jamet or even a '05, which I have seen it at that price range and don’t think it’s too crazy especially for a '05.

10 Jamet is better than 05 … the domaine was not up to the top app 2000 to 2006+

Even the '05? '04 I had not too long ago was pretty good. Their cote brune bottles however I was told are all exceptional despite the vintages.

2 Likes

Had great 01/04 jamet CR and cote brunes.

Would you say there’s a huge difference between the regular bottle and the Cote Brune bottles? The price difference is pretty steep.

Fair difference when trying them side by side. But can’t speak to anything later than 2012 on the side by side. Also feel like with current heat trends the gap is probably closing as the brune has always been deeper richer and now the cote rotie is catching up. But balance wise the CB is quite unique

1 Like

have had maybe 10+ vintages of cote brune and 20+ of the CR (and the many funky other cuvees along the way). the cote brune is very different, exemplary and likely the greatest wine in the appellation now. it’s deeper, the aromatics are much more complex, there’s a wideness to it where the “normale” can be more direct.

it’s also crucial to keep in mind that post 2013 when the brothers split, Jean-Paul (domaine jamet) kept CB but the rest of the vineyards were split. and famously, Jean-Luc was the vineyard guy half of the operation, so the idea that Domaine Jamet today is as it was 10 years ago is impossible. The domaine’s holdings also increased dramatically over the decades of the 90s and 2000s - so Jamet Cote-Rotie 1999 is not the same fruit as say 2005, etc. And of course, the aforementioned myriad cuvees that usually don’t make it to the states.

Summing, comparing Cote-Brune to the domaine Cote-Rotie is a very moving target and will likely continue to be so as the domaine continues to a post-split reality.

3 Likes

05 is better than 04 but not really exciting compared to former great vintages. The 1st really great wine again for me was 2009 …

I’ve liked the 04, 05, and 06 in the last year or so (07 not so much). It’s possible they’re missing that last 5% and won’t hit the heights of the 99 and so on, but at this stage in their development I’m not sure I can tell

I opened an 04 Jamet Cote Brune on Wednesday. It was breathtakingly good.

That said, as others have remarked, 10 Jamet (both regular and CB) is really quite special.

1 Like

Jamet CB is probably my bucketlist wine number one.

For me these vintages lack a certain intensity and depth … an element that even in lighter vintages like 1997 or 1996 was present … and is missing in 2001/04/06 …

It tastes a bit like higher yields - or fruit from younger vines - or less strict selection (or whatever, I don´t now exactly …)

But if you are absolutely satisfied with these vintages … there is no problem.

Do you think ageing them longer may help ? Also have you tried the '08? I know critics said it was not a good vintage, but I actually prefer some cote-roties in the so called ‘weaker’ vintage given the lightness and freshness.

1 Like

Never had 08 … and yes, it was a lighter vintage ( tasting other producers) … and no, aging 01 and 04 won’t help much, but for 05, 06 … maybe …?

1 Like

The nose on the 08 is pretty damn good, but the taste is just too weak… and i often prefer these types of vintages.

1 Like

saw a '08 CB at a local store for a good price recently. Maybe it’s time for my first CB…

2004 Jamet was terrific and will stay that way. Haven’t had the 2001 since about release, but that was also very good then.
I’m not as as enthused with 2007 that I had early this year.

2 Likes

Has anyone checked in on 07 Jamet recently? Sitting on some wondering if I should test one out.

Had a bottle some months ago together with a la Turque '00 - the wines were increadibly similar, the only difference being a slightly more red-fruited profile of the benetiere. While I prefer the light-footed vintages like 11 and 12 I have to say that in warmer years it still delivers but in a different style.

1 Like