TN: 2017 Larkmead Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Solari (USA, California, Napa Valley)

• 2017 Larkmead Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Solari - USA, California, Napa Valley (5/1/2024)
    Gave this a splash decant and a couple of hours of air - good thing as it was still fairly tight and tannic when I finally poured a bit. It fleshed out a little more over the course of the next two hours, but remained rather hard and dryly tannic. Tough phase? Tough year? No idea yet, but I will let my other two bottles rest for a while.
2 Likes

My experience with Solari, any vintage, is that it is brutal when young. Thanks for reporting, but more time should help, I think.

1 Like

David, I been wanting to try Larkmead. What wine should I start with ?

I honestly don’t know now, as they changed winemakers after I dropped off the club (due to having too much Cabernet in my cellar).

In general, Larkmead has been a tough wine to drink in the first 5 yrs due to tannins. IMO, their regular Cab is a good place to start and had been a great value up until the last few price jumps. It’s a good representation of Calistoga, heavy tannins early, dark fruit, great structure.

Their Firebelle bottle ( usually equal parts Merlot & Cab with a bit of Cab Franc) is less expensive and more approachable early.

And I might have suggested the Firebelle, but it’s not so typical of the lineup.

1 Like

Their 2018 Napa Cabernet is drinking very well now…